Method of attaching rods to rotor

Storm_Eagle

Registered
Registered
Hi. I want to attach some ground rods to a rotor with no external holes for fasteners. I attached the image of the part below. I do not want to use adhesives to do it.
What i was thinking was to screw some smaller rods into the external rods, and then use some camlocking mechanism to draw them into the center rotor. But is there a easier way to do it? I was also thinking of using a lock ring and machine a groove in the rotor and rods for the ring to fit into, but that will not have any force pulling the rods in so i think it will be to loose of a connection.

The part:
Rotor.JPG

My thinking of making a way to fasten the rods to the center rotor:
Rotor fastner.JPG

Also i'm not sure if the cam screws will need to be locked in some way to not loosen up, or if the friction will make sure it stays in place.

Last edited:
Make the nesting arcs on the rotor more than 180 degrees so that they trap the rods, as long as the rods are trapped lengthwise.

Make the nesting arcs on the rotor more than 180 degrees so that they trap the rods, as long as the rods are trapped lengthwise.
Unfortunately that is not possible. The size of the rotor and the rods, and their placement are fixed.

Dovetail keys?

A rough idea of size of the part would be useful — this can have a lot of bearing on whether a solution would be viable or not.

Dovetail keys?

A rough idea of size of the part would be useful — this can have a lot of bearing on whether a solution would be viable or not.

The rods are 15mm in diameter and the rotor is 40 mm in diameter

I think dowetail keys would be tricky to machine in that small sizes, and they would have to be tapred to securly hold the rods in their groves. Or where you thinking about machining the dovetails into the rods and rotor directly?

I would drill & tap the rods and install threaded studs, like in the cam drawing, then drill & tap slightly larger mating hols in the rotor grooves, fill the holes with epoxy or JB Weld and press the rod stud assembly into the grooves. Once the epoxy sets it will never come apart.

I would drill & tap the rods and install threaded studs, like in the cam drawing, then drill & tap slightly larger mating hols in the rotor grooves, fill the holes with epoxy or JB Weld and press the rod stud assembly into the grooves. Once the epoxy sets it will never come apart.
Green Loctite?

You five pins. The spacing on the rotor allows for fasteners to be drilled and tapped from the far side. Just cross drill the holes and tap the rods just like your drawing. If you can't have an exposed hole on the rotor, just plug after fastening the rods.

Cut dovetails in the rods and mating dovetails in the core Tapped hole on the end that intersect both the core and the rods will prevent sliding out. Alternatively, an interference fit or Loctite..

Back