Metric tap and die set

If you need a specific odd tap/die you are much better off getting a mainstream manufacturer either through a supplier or check eBay. I have a number of Toolmex Dies and YG taps purchased through Suncoast, they have all performed quite well. There is a wide range of manufactures, styles and coatings. Prices for 9 mm start at around $6. I get HSS taps and dies vs the lower quality/performance carbon steel. As far as sets, pretty disappointing as to and decent set that is under $400, I have a Snap-on set that I used for years, but for the most part I buy tap sets (taper plug, bottoming) for the most frequent used taps and have boxes of adjustable round dies. I buy individual ones as needed for a particular project if it is an uncommon size, or cut the thread on the lathe.

M9 taps and dies from Suncoast Tools

This is just one draw, I keep spiral taps in another draw as well and other tap and die holders. Imperial is on the left, metric on the right bottom, plus those in the Snap-on case.
Tap and Dies.jpg

I don't see anything down below. Can you give me a link?
I can tonight , kinda busy outside . Look in misc thread possibly . If it's not there , I'll just take another pic of the set and send it to you .

Found that Lowes had the perfect set. 7,8,9,10,11 and I think 12 for $35. Should have just went with a name brand to begin with. Awesome set. The die handle fits over the tap wrench for added leverage and everything is very well made. Very happy.

Thank you everyone.

A side comment more than anything. The general consensus amongst the people I pay attention to is to go first class or better for taps. Anything less than premium taps is just trouble. I do not do precision machine work, I am a modeler. I have a couple of "sets" of high quality taps that are straight flute, basically maintenance grade. I will not consider Home Depot or Lowe's for serious tools of any type. Horrible Fright doesn't even get on that list.

The word "Vintage" means different things to different people. I use the term "Archaic" more often. In any case, newer tools seem to be less usable than older stuff. Most of my taps are Craftsman "KromeEdge" from the '70s. They were for maintenance work, not production. The rare times I use them, they do well enough. The current crop of Craftsman tools don't seem to be worth the effort to throw them across the back yard. For the smaller sizes that I use regularly, machine screws below Nr 10 (3/16 inch), I will only purchase first class, premium or better.

HSS is the least I will consider, period. I prefer good, well known brands from a known source, preferably as individual acquisitions. Buying "sets" of even small taps is simply beyond my means. The only time I will consider "Carbon Steel" is when working with plastics. Since I usually have HSS of a particular size on hand, Carbon Steel doesn't even come into play. My "user" taps usually have at least two of any given size. The second for when I get stupid and try something of a shortcut, breaking the tap. For specialty sizes, I may only have one, but it is a good one.

Some taps were acquired from an aircraft supply house. Those generally are spiral tip taps. Some of the smaller ones, like 0-80 and smaller, are only available as straight flute, so that's all I have. Other small sizes come from a supplier for local machine shops. The only time I acquired large taps, 1-1/2-8 and the like, they came from a specialty supplier. I don't list names of suppliers because I don't know if they even have an Internet presence. This is (was) a heavy industrial town, suppliers were common here for a hundred years or more. They simply didn't carry cheap tools of any form.

From the perspective of an "Am Damateur", I have pursued machine work as a hobbyist for over 50 years, purchasing what I need as I need it. The trick is to never let anything go, always taking good care of my tools. After 50 odd years my "collection" has become a decent tool box, at a decent price.

I need a metric tap and die set that includes 9mm.

I exhausted Amazon's offerings. One that had several 9mm sizes that cost me $90(first warning sign) were mislabeled. The 9mm 1.25 tap was actually a 10mm and the 8mm was actually the 9mm. Sent it back.

Why is it so hard to find a set with 9mm?

AND does anyone know of a set that I can get my hands on? (3mm - 10,12,14mm but must have 9mm)

Mike.

Do you have a citron ?

Stu

A side comment more than anything. The general consensus amongst the people I pay attention to is to go first class or better for taps. Anything less than premium taps is just trouble. I do not do precision machine work, I am a modeler. I have a couple of "sets" of high quality taps that are straight flute, basically maintenance grade. I will not consider Home Depot or Lowe's for serious tools of any type. Horrible Fright doesn't even get on that list.

The word "Vintage" means different things to different people. I use the term "Archaic" more often. In any case, newer tools seem to be less usable than older stuff. Most of my taps are Craftsman "KromeEdge" from the '70s. They were for maintenance work, not production. The rare times I use them, they do well enough. The current crop of Craftsman tools don't seem to be worth the effort to throw them across the back yard. For the smaller sizes that I use regularly, machine screws below Nr 10 (3/16 inch), I will only purchase first class, premium or better.

HSS is the least I will consider, period. I prefer good, well known brands from a known source, preferably as individual acquisitions. Buying "sets" of even small taps is simply beyond my means. The only time I will consider "Carbon Steel" is when working with plastics. Since I usually have HSS of a particular size on hand, Carbon Steel doesn't even come into play. My "user" taps usually have at least two of any given size. The second for when I get stupid and try something of a shortcut, breaking the tap. For specialty sizes, I may only have one, but it is a good one.

Some taps were acquired from an aircraft supply house. Those generally are spiral tip taps. Some of the smaller ones, like 0-80 and smaller, are only available as straight flute, so that's all I have. Other small sizes come from a supplier for local machine shops. The only time I acquired large taps, 1-1/2-8 and the like, they came from a specialty supplier. I don't list names of suppliers because I don't know if they even have an Internet presence. This is (was) a heavy industrial town, suppliers were common here for a hundred years or more. They simply didn't carry cheap tools of any form.

From the perspective of an "Am Damateur", I have pursued machine work as a hobbyist for over 50 years, purchasing what I need as I need it. The trick is to never let anything go, always taking good care of my tools. After 50 odd years my "collection" has become a decent tool box, at a decent price.

Very good advice and well taken, thank you.
I too am a hobbyist but I'm of the mindset, do it once, do it right. (I realize that some may read into this comment and misconstrue my meaning but I believe you understand.) I say "sets" as this is my mindset too. If I need a certain size tap once, odds are I'm going to need similar items in the near future so I spare myself the hassle both in downtime and searching for what I need by getting a set of the most common sizes, hence my search for the 9mm in a set. I try at all costs to avoid cheap crap or sub-standard materials but sometimes there is no choice. IE; the steam engine I'm building requires BA taps and dies. After much searching and time, found a set from 0-10 BA from England. Took some time to get it, not like Amazon where it's here the next day or day after. It was carbon steel and I may never need or use all of the pieces but I have them, if needed. As I said had no choice. Sure, with that being said, I'm sure there will be options I have never considered made by other members because I didn't ask first. I'm always open to advice, the reason I'm here so thank you for your time and worthy advice.

Last edited:
Back