Metric Thread Pitch on PM1340 Lathe

In use, I find it little different than most of the DRO interfaces. I like the KISS approach and it works well. There is code on his Github depository for a touch screen interface. We're not using it to control the space shuttle, you read the RPM or press a couple buttons to change mode, feed rate/thread pitch. You can change feed rates on the fly but that's really only time your pressing buttons with the machine running. The meat and potatoes is the code running on the TI processor with motion control capability's built-in for $40. Could add a gold plated control panel to house the electronics?
I'm glad you like it. Functionally it adds a lot of value and convenience, but I prefer more industrial designs for my equipment. To each their own.

With the Clough42 ELS, you select leadscrew on gearbox, press button to switch to threading, press button to switch to metric, press up arrow until you get to 1.75, then cut your thread. Love this thing.
Oh yeah! ....Last month I implemented the @clough42 ELS System on my trusty old Grizzly G4000 and while at it, I also implemented an electronic (regenerative) spindle foot-brake. Words cannot convey how much more user friendly my good old lathe is now.
Completed Lathe.jpg
conversion.jpg

Like David Best, I have done a spreadsheet that calculates all the pitch combinations.
Can you post/share your spreadsheet. I some times miss the post dates. Someone adds to the post and then I see an earlier on in the string and make a response to an old post. Sorry. However, I learned from your reply!!!! Can you post/share your spreadsheet or if you already have maybe you can sent a link.
Thanks.

Can you post/share your spreadsheet. I some times miss the post dates. Someone adds to the post and then I see an earlier on in the string and make a response to an old post. Sorry. However, I learned from your reply!!!! Can you post/share your spreadsheet or if you already have maybe you can sent a link.
Thanks.
My CAD/Hobby computer is still packed from our move so I cannot get to the chart file right now. That is task 66,637 of the 100,000 things I still have to do so it will be awhile.

I did find a thread calculator I made. It is in an excel file which I have attached. If you do not have excel I may be able to export it to a different format...maybe.

In the top chart each of the colored cells is a drop down to select the desired change gear. Select a gear combination and it shows all the available pitches for that combo.

Attachments

• PM-1440GT Change Gear Thread Calculator.zip
    11.3 KB · Views: 59
Reactions: B2
My CAD/Hobby computer is still packed from our move so I cannot get to the chart file right now. That is task 66,637 of the 100,000 things I still have to do so it will be awhile.

I did find a thread calculator I made. It is in an excel file which I have attached. If you do not have excel I may be able to export it to a different format...maybe.

In the top chart each of the colored cells is a drop down to select the desired change gear. Select a gear combination and it shows all the available pitches for that combo.
Thanks. I will have a look. Yes, I have Excel. I run 2010 rather than becoming a cloud user. Is the chart any different from the Excel or just images of the various pull down situations.

If there is any thing particular about the manufacturer's manual you need just sent me a PM and I will see what I can do. I am still pretty new with my 1440 so am still learning. I am sure you could teach me more quickly. I assume you saw my post about the VFD conversion.?
VFD conversion using solid state electronic components.
That took me a while. I am currently writing up an Excel program which auto generates Gcode for making a new instrument panel holes at arbitrary locations, angles, number of devices etc.. It is working, but not well written up yet. When I get it done I will share.

Thanks. I will have a look. Yes, I have Excel. I run 2010 rather than becoming a cloud user. Is the chart any different from the Excel or just images of the various pull down situations.

If there is any thing particular about the manufacturer's manual you need just sent me a PM and I will see what I can do. I am still pretty new with my 1440 so am still learning. I am sure you could teach me more quickly. I assume you saw my post about the VFD conversion.?

That took me a while. I am currently writing up an Excel program which auto generates Gcode for making a new instrument panel holes at arbitrary locations, angles, number of devices etc.. It is working, but not well written up yet. When I get it done I will share.
The cart is something that can sit in a drawer for quick lookup vs having to go to the puter.

I had not seen your thread. I will definitely read it when I can.

My participation here has been hit and miss for the last two years while working on our Cali home to get ready to rent. That should finally be done before xmas. My lathe has not been run since I think March of 2019. Hoping to get power run to it between xmas and the new year.

Called PM today to see if they had any 35T gears. They do not. Looks like I need to consider making my own…eventually.

@Christianstark

Which metric thread do you want to make first.? Maybe I can figure out another gear configuration that is close.

Do you have all of the PM standard external gears. The list that I show were suppose to come with the 1340 is 40, 35, 32, 30 but you say you do not have a 35T? I was suppose to have had a 57T with my 1440GT and it was missing. Matt sent me one.

So if not what gears do you have? I will plug that into the spread sheet I am working on.

Also, do you know what your z-feed rate is? I am not for sure I believe the lathe label, but you maybe able to feed and thread and get close. I can check those as well if you have the feed rate.

Last edited:
I didn’t get a 35T gear with my 1236T either. I made this chart using the gears I have and you can get the missing threads using the 32T gear in a different combination than documented.

Attachments

• PM-1236T Thread Chart.pdf
    224.8 KB · Views: 100
Back