Micrometer Stop (with issue)

The reason your stop is slipping is because the angles underneath it, the angled parts touching the ways, are inaccurate. You only have contact on the inner v-way and none on the outer one. No amount of clamping force will hold the stop solidly. Fix the angles and just a little force will lock it down.

EDIT: also make the center cut deeper so it doesn't touch the flat on top of the way. If it touches, the angled surfaces will not register solidly and you cannot lock it down.

Last edited:
It looks like the stop is only gripping on the little section on the inside of the way and the flat on the top. If you could get this portion to hit before it bottoms out on the flat top, I'm sure it would work better. But as Ken said unless your machine has a clutch you should only use the stop when hand feeding.

Tim

Edit: Forgot the photo.
InkedScreenshot 2021-12-16 182507_LI.jpg

Yea, Mikey's got a good eye. I didn't even see that earlier.

Last edited:
Mikey and RJ know their business.
Learning to do the job properly helps us all.
Don’t get discouraged, keep at it and let us follow along.
This is not a simple project.

Comment on using a carriage stop when threading; NEVER! If the stop is contacted, it makes it impossible to disengage the half nuts, and breakage of something is very likely. Carriage stops need to be tightened quite tight, a knurled knob is nowhere nearly up to the job, and in my opinion, the stop should have contact with both sides of the vee way.

@walterwoj

Woodchucker's strategy for the V on his carriage stop is a good example of an easy way to repair yours. Maybe.

The narrow and raised flat in the top of the V means that his V will fit with full contact on both angled faces, even if his he misses the mark a little and makes the V too wide, or too narrow. As long as the angle is correct, it'll fit with full contact on both faces. The width of the v becomes less critical.

On yours, the angle doesn't look incorrect, but the top of your V appears to be sitting on top of your ways.

Last edited:
I thought a carriage stop like you made was to power feed close and finish to the stop by hand ? Maybe your lathe has some kind of self release clutch ? I have a factory stop on my Clausing not as nice as you made but there’s a clutch kick out bracket that would let you have some type of power feed stop .

could also replace the thumb screw with a socket head screw, more torque, I have 2 on mine

The carriage stop is not supposed to stop the power feed... it is meant to be a 'hand feed' stop.

I use the feed until I'm close to the stop, then disengage the feed and hand feed the last .020" or so... just until I touch the stop.

Even hand feeding, you could potentially move the stop if you run into it hard.

-Bear

Back