Micrometers- So Many Choices

Mics are easy to collect and justify (i just need to measure it!!!)

Stuff snipped... .

Funny... I used to look at all the different kinds of mics and wonder, who the heck ever needs something like that? LOL: In the last few days and on the last couple projects, I could have used about 3 or 4 "out of the ordinary" kinds of mics. -Time to start a better collection....

Still though, I manage to get a lot done with calipers, standard mics, feeler gauges, a set of depth mics and a set of inside expandable hole gauges (forgot what those are called but you know what I mean).

Ray

Still though, I manage to get a lot done with calipers, standard mics, feeler gauges, a set of depth mics and a set of inside expandable hole gauges (forgot what those are called but you know what I mean).

Ray

I know some top Harley mechanics who get by with what you have.. the quality of work is only as good as the person behind the tool. A good tool will not make up for a poor mechanic or machinist.

Chuck... Believe it or not, on a sheave I was making that had a shoulder, I found myself using my dad's old calipers like the two on the left below and when all was said and done, everything worked-out just peachy.
calipers.jpg

I know some top Harley mechanics who get by with what you have.. the quality of work is only as good as the person behind the tool. A good tool will not make up for a poor mechanic or machinist.

calipers.jpg

as much as harleys are in the shop, i'd suspect that all harley mechanics are top notch!!
kidding of course

yes the painter matters more than the brush, I totaly agree, i am still painting by numbers... but mics are a good investment, and are a cheapish buy. Like anything, you can do alot with the basics, telescoping gages, feeler gages, nice set of calipers. having more doesnt make you better, but it does give you an additional, and sometimes faster way to make a measurement or reference.

Fate... I just hopped onto eBay and a set basically identical to what's shown below was ending in 4 minutes with an auction start at $9.00. What the heck... I punched-in for 10 bucks. -Was the sole bidder and won. I was after the 1st one shown below, with outward protruding tangs. Could have used those many times on this last project. And the pointy ones? -Couldn't tell you how many times I've wanted to measure between two points and the regular calipers wouldn't fit in the cramped quarters...

Old fashioned doesn't mean obsolete...

Chuck... Believe it or not, on a sheave I was making that had a shoulder, I found myself using my dad's old calipers like the two on the left below and when all was said and done, everything worked-out just peachy.
calipers.jpg

calipers.jpg

The "pointy" things are really called dividers and are often used for scribing lines ( circles and arcs) on templates and other layouts, often on sheet metal.. They are also used to check distances between lines on layouts and drawings.

The ones with the crooked ends are called inside and outside calipers, depending on which way they curve. Sometimes any of them are called spring calipers as a general name..

When I was an apprentice the lathe boss encouraged me to check the piece that I was making, with the outside calipers and then transfer it to inside calipers. Then he had me check the inside calipers with regular mic's and gage my accuracy, by comparing that with a reading of the od of the part made with regular mic's also.

Might have to read that one a second time as I did not do a very good job with such long sentences.

Was a good thing to know that I could do such measuring if I did not have better tools and might be called a skill builder, but I have found very few times that it was needed, after that. However it did go a long way toward developing a feel for making measurements.
Jerry

The "pointy" things are really called dividers and are often used for scribing lines ( circles and arcs) on templates and other layouts, often on sheet metal.. They are also used to check distances between lines on layouts and drawings.

The ones with the crooked ends are called inside and outside calipers, depending on which way they curve.

I had the same thing taught me. If I were advising anyone where to start in this business or hobby I would tell them to devlop their feel. Calipers are a good way to start. I can measure as acurately with them as I or anyone can with mics.and mics are limited by size and shape while calipers aren't.
Newbies really should practice using measuring tools while an experienced user is present to check them.
Does anybody still use verniers? I do.

I do, Jimmy. I have a couple of verniers. One is a 24", the other a 40", but it's actually graduated out and usable to 42.500". I'll admit to having had a few shorter ones, but gave them away. I have too many dial and digitals in the 6, 8, and 12" sizes. But I do use my 24"s regularly.

I do, Jimmy. I have a couple of verniers. One is a 24", the other a 40", but it's actually graduated out and usable to 42.500". I'll admit to having had a few shorter ones, but gave them away. I have too many dial and digitals in the 6, 8, and 12" sizes. But I do use my 24"s regularly.

I also have 24" vernier , 6" and my prized possesion a 6" depth gauge I got the day I started my Tool and Die training and injection mold making I had avernier height gauge but I sol d it.
I'm curios. What do you do that requires 24" verniers?
Darn my typing is worse than my handwriting Not really.

Some of the parts I run are shaft-like in nature, so I have OAL and shoulder to shoulder dimensions to hold. Mostly linear measurement. I have mics to 24", plus a nice shop made adjustable mandrel mic that reaches a little larger. Haven't needed it in a while though. Turning, I don't do much large work. Don't want the work, don't need it. Plenty of small work.

Back