Micrometers- So Many Choices

Hi! just wanted to chime in I am not much of a machinist - but am learning a lot in my old age, My grandfather was a tool and die maker back in the day he retired in the late 50's. When he retired remember going to the plant where he worked with my mother to pick up his tool boxes. I always loved looking inside at all the "stuff". today I have most of his tools in my shop mostly L. S. Starrett and B&S measuring tools. I am far from a professional but for some reason the feel of the old Starrett mikes feel nice in your hand as compared to some of the others out there today.

I have used Verniers and calipers mostly. I use a mic some but am not comfortable with it, just need more practice. Good thread, lots of good info.

For really picky people, this is the way to go:

Also for those with deep pockets. But there's no arguing tenths with one of those.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh boy I hear you Tony about the eyeballs. Aside from my Starrets my favorite is a common no name
from the hardware store its dead on .001 inc. why? cause i can read it. big big numbers. So I really
want to try a direct reading with no batterys hate batterys. sam

I kind of have a dislike for everything in the shop that uses batteries. I have a B&S digital caliper that is accurate, smooth and nice.....like brand new, but it will stay that way because I never use it. It stays in its box. Same with a Mit digital depth mic, reads in half-tenths, nice and brand new, but will stay in the box. I don't have, nor plan to ever have any digital OD mics. I have used them, but generally prefer the feel of the old fashioned standard micrometer. Very seldom is there a need for the accuracy that seems to be available with them.

I have pretty much the same opinion as Tony..

I like using digital calipers though, and I also have a back up set of6", 8" and 12" dial calipers to go along with my 6", 8" and 12" digital calipers..

Micrometers, I like Starrett, Brown&sharpe, Mitutoyo.. I've used good Fowler and Lufkin mics also... The best set of mics I used were some Starrett quality control mics, they were carbide faced, had an extra heavy frame, and they were certified once a month and kept in a clean room, very smooth.

Whats a set of 0-6" Brown&sharpes in a wood case with standards going for?

Well, I do have a very well worn pair of 8" Mits that have been with me for years and have been faithful. I just didn't replace the batteries the last time they went down and put them in the drawer. I did like them for the floating zero feature. They look war torn and beat up, but last time I used them, they were fine. I just have so many dial calipers I just switched to them and haven't bothered with getting batteries. I guess I should be using them, so I'll get some batteries. They have a long life in it, so no complaints there.

I do have to make an exception with one or two instruments. I have a Wyler Clinotronic that uses an odd Lithium battery that is hard to find. And I have a Mit profilometer that uses rechargable batteries, but generally use the power supply anyway. Well, one more thing, the B&S TesaHite uses 4 AA batteries, but sees very little use.

I imagine those B&S's would bring a pretty penny. Very desirable from my point of view. I have the Starrett equivalent set, and if I remember right, (many years ago) I paid nearly $600 for them, with case and rods. If I didn't have them, I'd be interested in your set should you chose to sell it.

does anyone know if the Lufkin No.1913 and 1912 micrometers read down to .0001?
There are often on e bay, I don't really need the accuracy, but I just like the mics better that way.

Need some help in repairing a set of 0-1" mic's. I was able to pick them up cheap at a swap meet and thought I might have found a bargain. Maybe not so lucky. Might just have myself a small C-clamp. The guy at the table said his young son just tried to take it apart, out of curiosity and they were unable to put it back together. Thought I'd be able to take care of that job, but I find that I too am stumped.

i can't pull them any further apart and they won't screw back together. When I shake them, it sounds like there might be a small washer or some other part rattling around in the handle. Anyone know how to help?

Jim Dunn
Harrington, Delaware

image.jpg

Been a while since i had one of those apart, but seems to me there is a ring with a key on it that spins the "odometer". You have to line everything up to get the spindle back in there. I imagine Starrett would give you a breakdown on it.

Back