Might be moving Will need a shop

mickri

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
My kids want me closer to my daughter and they have located a house that I can afford that is only 45 minutes away instead of 4 hours. Don't know if it will happen or not. My current house has to sell to buy the new place. The new place only has a one car garage and the HOA limits shops, sheds, etc in the backyard to 300 sq ft. 12 foot max height limit. House only has 100 amp service. The shop/shed will be 10'x30' and will have solar panels on the roof. The electrical run from the current panel will be around 90'. The house needs around $30,000 worth of work. That has to come first before the shop/shed. One nice thing is that the garage has a door on both ends providing access to the backyard and being on a corner there is access from the backyard to the side street.

Trying to figure out how much electricity I might need. I never used more than one piece of equipment at any given time. I think the heaviest electrical draw will be 20 amps for my little HF welder plus some lights and a mini split for heat and AC. I am thinking a 50 amp sub panel would be adequate. I have around 400' of 10 gauge wire which I am sure is too small. But how big do I really need. Copper wire is expensive. I am on a very limited budget.

I’m not an electrician, but I believe you’ll need 6 gauge wire for 50amp. You may be able to go to 60amp on that same wire so effectively no cost difference. Even though your main is only 100a, I would price out doing it as a 100a subpanel using 2/0 aluminum too, that way if the main does get upgraded you don’t need to rewire to pull more power into the shop. Might not be much difference in price.

Garage door must be closed, no cars in the driveway, grass must be regulation length, no noise before 7 am, or after 6 pm. Should I go on :grin:
^ This! I loved the idea of a PUD but the HOA was a total buzz kill. I had to hide ANYTHING I did and I swear it seemed like everybody who lived there hated anybody who actually made anything. And I’m respectful, not before 8am and not after 5pm. I hated that feeling, never more. They went after the neighbor for putting a potted plant by the front gate! And want to paint something? Fuhgetaboutit.

Back