Might be moving Will need a shop

My wife and I are looking for a home and shop in our area.
This came up this morning.
No shop but it has room.
Nice place!!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/...4c1-8224-dcdd424db37b~X1-ZUttr7ptjel1jd_8p8t0
Ok, now it’s my turn to ask “how does it feel” to be rich? :)

My wife had a week off (always dangerous monetarily) and tried to get some prices on just doing landscaping and to do everything and not fancy would run way over $50k, closer to 100k.

When I pointed out she would have to tack that on the mortgage and work a couple more years it sunk in.

I‘m proud for you guys who can afford this, and build a shop, but I ain’t one. I feel lucky to have my packed 2 car garage of funky stuff that I’m not paying on. And close to having our funky house paid off. Oh and no HOA and neighbors who make stuff too!

Happily, I don't even need a building permit/inspection for the new shop. Only for septic tanks. I like this county.
Whoa,
In some parts of this country you need a permit to change a toilet, to build a fence, to trim a tree.
You live in a great county!

Ok, now it’s my turn to ask “how does it feel” to be rich? :)

My wife had a week off (always dangerous monetarily) and tried to get some prices on just doing landscaping and to do everything and not fancy would run way over $50k, closer to 100k.

When I pointed out she would have to tack that on the mortgage and work a couple more years it sunk in.

I‘m proud for you guys who can afford this, and build a shop, but I ain’t one. I feel lucky to have my packed 2 car garage of funky stuff that I’m not paying on. And close to having our funky house paid off. Oh and no HOA and neighbors who make stuff too!
We have to be very careful.
I think many of us agree, a housing market adjustment is looming.
The property I highlighted is on the top end of our budget.
Rich? No, we aren't rich, we have just been fortunate and have worked hard and saved/invested.

We have to be very careful.
I think many of us agree, a housing market adjustment is looming.
The property I highlighted is on the top end of our budget.
Rich? No, we aren't rich, we have just been fortunate and have worked hard and saved/invested.
I think you are right about the market too. I think there is some type of adjustment coming but not sure what that will be. I doubt anything like 2008 resulted in, but who knows. We have been holding off on looking for our retirement home because of the uncertainty of everything going on, both market and political. Those two items make it unnerving to think about making huge commitments that we will be living with for the rest of our lives without a job. Scares the heck out of me.

We have been holding off on looking for our retirement home because of the uncertainty of everything going on, both market and political. Those two items make it unnerving to think about making huge commitments that we will be living with for the rest of our lives without a job. Scares the heck out of me.
Absolutely. All the same signs of ‘07.

This thread is very timely as the guy I mentioned as having my dream shop Tom Lipton/Oxtools is moving. I just assumed he owned the warehouse/apartment they were in but I guess not. The landlord wanted a 40% increase with only a yearly lease, no more month to month. So he found a place 100mi N. with a big shop. He’s covering it on his YouTube channel calling The Epic Egress. Talk about daunting and he’s not moved his shop yet!

We have been looking for several years. Not much comes on the market that I can afford and I have to sell my place to buy. Very few sellers will take a contingent offer in today's seller's market. Most homes have multiple offers and often sell for 10% to 20% over list price. I made an offer on one place. There were at least 4 offers on the property and the seller's counter was "What is the highest price that you will pay." I said no thanks.

If I decide I don't like the HOA I will sell and find another place. One friend suggested to my mom awhile back that I could always rent a place. Mom's response was I would rather live in a tent on my own land then rent.

Back to the question about wire size. I doubt that I will ever need more power in the future. I already have all of the power tools that I will ever need and like I said in my original post I only use one piece of equipment at a time. The most that will ever be running would be the mini split, lights and one power tool. I'll look at sub panels the next time I go to Lowes or Home Depot. I might have to upgrade the main panel to 200 amps. The house is all electric.

One thing that I have thought of is replacing the 100 amp breaker on the main panel with a 200 amp breaker. Seems like the only difference between 100 amp panels and 200 amp panels is you get more slots for breakers on the 200 amp panel and the size of the wires coming into the property might be smaller on a 100 amp panel. I will check it out.

For a 100 amp subpanel 90' run you'd need 1/0 aluminum but that is direct burial.

I live in a HOA subdivision. They don't get totally carried away but the rules won't let me build the garage/shop I want. It would be really nice to just walk out the back door, flip on the lights and make a mess. I would never buy again in a HOA location. The city is bad enough.

Absolutely. All the same signs of ‘07.

This thread is very timely as the guy I mentioned as having my dream shop Tom Lipton/Oxtools is moving. I just assumed he owned the warehouse/apartment they were in but I guess not. The landlord wanted a 40% increase with only a yearly lease, no more month to month. So he found a place 100mi N. with a big shop. He’s covering it on his YouTube channel calling The Epic Egress. Talk about daunting and he’s not moved his shop yet!
I have been following his egress episodes.
You can tell he is very happy with his new shop-home and property.
He is going to have a bit of a commute assuming he is still working.

I hate CC&r's.
My wife and I will never live in a place that has rules.
My wife and I went to a property 25 years ago to look, and it had a no pets policy. I asked how about fish... no fish, no hamsters, no birds, dogs, cats.. nothing.

They were an interesting group of people..
And of course, no car washing, working on your vehicle. No putting up your own plants outside..
one has to wonder what people see in these HOAs. Sounds like you are asking for a problem going to one.

Back