Mike's 6-Axis Articulated Robot

One great way to find parts for something is to search for someone selling several robots of that kind or at least one. Contact that person telling them what you need. Contact eBay seller for example: "I need this motor from this robot with this model number. Do you have one or do you know who might?" Some people may have it or know someone who does since they have the same robot.

Would something like this be close enough, maybe swap out the magnet inside or a bigger part of the motor?
Yes, actually I think that would work!

Yeah, actually. I think all the critical aspects of that motor you found are the same as what he needs. The 2nd half of the part number is different but that's probably to do with the encoder and any other custom options. I bet the rotor out of the eBay motor can replace the damaged rotor no problem.
Yeah the 410622 is the DENSO part number. The first chunk is the series, maybe "Servo motor for old a** robot", and the second chunk is the individual PN, maybe "SCARA robot J3 Motor". I think the critical thing is the Panasonic number below "MSM5AZQ6Q". Bet if I matched that, or got real close, then I would get the motor I need.

One great way to find parts for something is to search for someone selling several robots of that kind or at least one. Contact that person telling them what you need. Contact eBay seller for example: "I need this motor from this robot with this model number. Do you have one or do you know who might?" Some people may have it or know someone who does since they have the same robot.
That's a really good idea.

Got pictures of the rest of the robot motor labels, edited the first post.

The J4, J5, and J6 (broken) motors are all identical. This is nice because it cuts down on the number of unique motors I need to characterize. J1 is 200W, J2 is 400W w/ brake, J3 is 200W w/ brake, J4/J5/J6 are 50W.

Here is a bit of info on the Controller Power connector. It was made by DDK (now Fujikura). The connector is a MIL-DTL-5015 part with arrangement 18-10.

1643922852850.png

1643922915623.png

I'll need a straight plug with female socket contacts.

1643923046604.png

1643923172315.png

I'll also need a cable clamp backshell

1643923235594.png
Rubber bushing may be needed to take up the thickness of the cable jacket.
1643923534526.png

EDIT: Here are some options to purchase:

EDIT 2: Found the connector and backshell on eBay really cheap in unopened bags. Bought those. That should take care of the missing controller power cable. I'll need to do the same exercise for the robot motor cable with a 23 or 24 conductor cable.

Last edited:
EDIT 2: Found the connector and backshell on eBay really cheap in unopened bags. Bought those. That should take care of the missing controller power cable. I'll need to do the same exercise for the robot motor cable with a 23 or 24 conductor cable.
PM me if you need any more Cannon plugs. I have box full of randos. Might have what you need.

One more thing. The control is rated for 210VAC +/-10% (189-231VAC) 1P 1.5kVA. I have 240V 1P residential power. To resolve this issue, I identified a transformer which I can get rather cheaply on eBay.

1643929493105.png

Doing a little hacky (but code legal) wiring, I could put 240V on the primary tapped at 277V. I could tap the 240V secondary. 240/277 = 0.866 and 0.866*240 = 208VAC. This is nicely within the 10% tolerance. Everything would be under the rated voltage and within the rated kVA.

Not even sure why it is that high. You'd never see all motors running at max, but even if they did, they'd pull 0.95kVA. Everything else is digital IO. I doubt the controller generates 550W of waste heat.

Last edited:
Good news, I found that Goof Off cleans up the overspray from whatever this robot used to be dispensing. It doesn’t eat away at the plastic covers and while it does soften the enamel paint on the castings, as long as I don’t soak the enamel, I can wipe off the overspray very easily. This thing is going to shine!

I noticed you are at Metro Detroit. I grew up there by the GM tech center, 12 mile and Hoover. Now I’m in West Michigan.

I checked and there may be support to download manuals for programming that and an active company to ask questions

I noticed you are at Metro Detroit. I grew up there by the GM tech center, 12 mile and Hoover. Now I’m in West Michigan.

I checked and there may be support to download manuals for programming that and an active company to ask questions

Just moved here. Still don't know where anything is, but we are close to the wife's family which is nice. Went to UofM for school so I do feel slightly like a Michigander.

That page shows a PDF to download, but it always fails with a 404 error. I have that question on my list to ask them so hopefully they will give me the last manual. We shall see!

Back