Mill Choices - Advice

Thanks for the advice yall.

I'm having a hard time deciding.

My tools are sitting on a residential garage floor so the weight does matter.

Thanks for the advice yall.

I'm having a hard time deciding.

My tools are sitting on a residential garage floor so the weight does matter.

A garage floor will support a Bridgeport just fine. It weighs less than the front end of a large car.

I have a G0704 and it does every thing I need it to do I thing it would be fine for your use. As for drilling a 1" hole in steel I have a drill press for that but have done it in the 704 by step drilling fron 1/2 in 1/8" steps. I mill 4140 and A2 all the time just don't take big cuts. That all being said I do agree if you have the space and floor to suport the waight I would get a bridge port or calone thay can be had in good shape for under 2 grand. For me my shop floor just won't support the waight.

I agree with this post 100% If you have the floor space go big - otherwise work smart with something smaller. Trying to drill a 1" hole without step drilling is a big ask. I have an Arboga press and I still step drill despite it's horsepower and rigidity. My mill is a 3/4 hp machine and I regularly machine steel with it. I just use sharp tools and take it easy.

Paul.

to make your choices more complicated... consider if you will want to convert to cnc someday. The rf 45 class machine is a good base to convert, heck Precision Mathews even has an (almost) ready to use for around $5k. Bridgeports would make a poor base for conversion. I have one of those too and opted for a Charter Oak 12Z on that basis.
If you do opt for a used machine, definitely find someone that knows bridgeports to check it out with you, there are a lot of junkers out there too.

A garage floor will support a Bridgeport just fine. It weighs less than the front end of a large car.

I agree with this. I'd like to hear someone with a floor that would not support a Bridgeport. Only thing I could think is if you are putting it in a kitchen with ceramic tile floor and didn't want to crack it or maybe in the kitchen with a linoleum floor or something. But garage, concrete all will be no problem.

This is also why the in person look at the mill you want is important. You can see the scale of what the things are. If you find some thing for sale go look at least to see it. Maybe find a machinery store locally to check out Bridgeports and clones.

Also can see with a Bridgeport you can really move aluminum like half inch cuts if you want, small table top not so much. Bridgeport will handle steel and harder metals, table top mill not so much.

Choice depends on what you want to do with it but be forward looking on what you may need later.

Last edited:
The reality of the situation is a clapped out bridgeport with 5 bucks in shims will out work any of them bench mills. I know I know, it's not a popular opinion even amongst bridgy owners. But it is the reality of the situation. My mill had plenty of slop in x and y. I shimmed it up and still have more usable travel then any of them small mills and take .05 all day every day with out any noticeable strain. And a good finish doing so with cheap china end mills. I just dont go any more then .05 doc cause .1 every 2 passes is just fine for me in 4140 or the like.

I say buy as big as you can. Bench mill, knee, import or U.S., just get as much as you can. If it comes down to more mill or a dro, get more mill. If it comes down to more mill or powerfeed, get more mill. If it comes down to vari speed or a big belt drive, again go with the big crusty belt drive. You can add all that cool crap to a big mill but you sure cant add more cast iron at a later date

Dude, you are all over the place on the capabilities and prices of the mills on your want list, from 170 to 2000 pounds. Surely you must realize that the biggest, heaviest mill will work much better for cutting steel.

Most people buy a bench mill because they don't have the space or can't handle moving 1 ton of equipment. If this isn't a problem, then you buy a bridgeport-class machine. Unlike the smaller mills, you can usually find deals on used Bridgeports since they are used so frequently in industry. Of course, then you have to educate yourself beforehand so you don't buy a clapped-out piece of scrap and spend a ton of time and a wad of cash on repairs to get a usable machine. Also, the used equipment market prices vary wildly from one part of the country to another and you can't expect to find a good deal in one week. Sometimes you just have to be at the right place and the right time, with money in hand ready to pickup.

The reality of the situation is a clapped out bridgeport with 5 bucks in shims will out work any of them bench mills. I know I know, it's not a popular opinion even amongst bridgy owners. But it is the reality of the situation. My mill had plenty of slop in x and y. I shimmed it up and still have more usable travel then any of them small mills and take .05 all day every day with out any noticeable strain. And a good finish doing so with cheap china end mills. I just dont go any more then .05 doc cause .1 every 2 passes is just fine for me in 4140 or the like.

I say buy as big as you can. Bench mill, knee, import or U.S., just get as much as you can. If it comes down to more mill or a dro, get more mill. If it comes down to more mill or powerfeed, get more mill. If it comes down to vari speed or a big belt drive, again go with the big crusty belt drive. You can add all that cool crap to a big mill but you sure cant add more cast iron at a later date

I tend to agree with this...

The larger the mill (the entire machine)... the more ridged. Why does this matter?

When a machine takes a cut (lathe or mill); it is not a smooth operation... and tool 'chatter' is a natural thing to happen. The big beefy cast iron frame of a machine tool is there for ridgidity (not a word, however you get the idea)... so the cut continues smoothly and does not damage the material or the tool.

As noted above... it is easy to add accessories later... not so easy to add beefy cast iron later... <grin>

If it were me, I would look at the 'RF 45 clones'...
Might look at these:
http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM-932M.html
http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM-45M-CNC.html
There is another version they have in stock, it does not have a webpage yet: A 2 speed gearbox with VS motor of the non-CNC model, the 932.
Then there is the PM935, a knee mill, which is a Taiwanese made machine; build and fit are significantly better than Chinese machines; as is the price... :)
You can look at the Precision Matthews threads at this forum at the Hobby Machinist site.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/forumdisplay.php/172-PRECISION-MATTHEWS

If it were me, I would do LOTS of research before committing to machine... that way, one does not get into the 'I wish I had...' after-thoughts.

Let us know what you decide, and ask as many questions as you want.

I totally agree with Chuckorlando. I bought a Bridgeport and never looked back.

There was another thread like this awhile back. I don't remember who started the thread, but one of the points made was how long will the Chinese mill last? A Bridgeport in 30 years will be worth what you paid and probably more and it will still be in use, an import mill most likely will be in the scrap by then. And will you be able to buy part for an import mill in 5-10 years? You can with a Bridgeport. My Bridgeport is 52 years old now an it's cutting as good as the 8 year old Bridgeport at work. Actually better with the VFD for speed control.

As far as the size of mill, I remember a couple of things I heard someone say a long time ago. You can put a small part on a big mill, but you can't put big part on a small one. And, the most import thing said was buy something you can grow into, and not grow out of. You think you will never do anything big, but as you go along and get better you will tackle bigger and more complex work and you will wish you would have gone with a larger and more rigid machine. Get the iron, then add the accessories you find you need as you go along.

Then there is resale.

You can literally try out a Bridgeport at home and if you bought it right and don't like it you can sell it within a week back on Craigslist for same or more money. There is something to a name brand everybody knows.

You can buy a brand new bench top mill and not be able to sell it for half what you paid. Look towards used bench top mills for that reason.

Back