Mill Choices - Advice

Only to further confuse the original poster. I have a late 1950's south bend vertical mill. At around 1800 lbs, she is heavy and rigid, unfortunately the 1hp motor tends to hold her back from taking deep cuts. But with that said, i would rather have an under powered rigid machine than the converse. If i were buying new, i would tend to start looking at the rf45 clones to the 3/4 scale bp clones... there is lots of value out there new, it just requires lots of research, and what you are doing here, asking questions. Talk to suppliers, they may be able to point you in a good direction.

Hth
Rich
Hth
Rich

Thanks again for all of the help.

I'll keep thinking and researching.

I tend to agree with this...

The larger the mill (the entire machine)... the more ridged. Why does this matter?

When a machine takes a cut (lathe or mill); it is not a smooth operation... and tool 'chatter' is a natural thing to happen. The big beefy cast iron frame of a machine tool is there for ridgidity (not a word, however you get the idea)... so the cut continues smoothly and does not damage the material or the tool.

As noted above... it is easy to add accessories later... not so easy to add beefy cast iron later... <grin>

If it were me, I would look at the 'RF 45 clones'...
Might look at these:
http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM-932M.html
http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM-45M-CNC.html
There is another version they have in stock, it does not have a webpage yet: A 2 speed gearbox with VS motor of the non-CNC model, the 932.
Then there is the PM935, a knee mill, which is a Taiwanese made machine; build and fit are significantly better than Chinese machines; as is the price... :)
You can look at the Precision Matthews threads at this forum at the Hobby Machinist site.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/forumdisplay.php/172-PRECISION-MATTHEWS

If it were me, I would do LOTS of research before committing to machine... that way, one does not get into the 'I wish I had...' after-thoughts.

Let us know what you decide, and ask as many questions as you want.

That PM 932 is interesting. I'm going to dig in a little more there just to see. It's not too far out of my price range.

I originally hoped to stay under $2000 for the mill and then buy all the tools I need as well.

I would just continue to save and buy bigger if necessary and it sounds like it is. Part of what I do would lead to a decent bit of mill work if I had the abilities. A lot of folks who have me true up and barrel guns would also have me add bottom metal, etc. If it worked out I would mill slides and even flute barrels.

I don't have to be able to do all of those things right now or ever for that matter. I just would if I could. ` I get to see and visit with the owner of a busy shop and he says it could make sense for me to have a smaller machine to do the little tasks and then eventually get a second machine if I want to. I realize there are different ways of looking at this. I don't really ever want to expand to where I work with others so I can't decide if more machines makes sense or not. With my lathe work I can already see how having a second lathe could save me a good bit of time and I will consider that if I get so covered up that it matters.

Anyway, I really do appreciate all of the comments and advice. Some of that Precision Matthews stuff must be the same stuff as Grizzly stuff. I'll dig into that a little more to see if they might have something that would work for me as well and I'll start watching for used mills. I do have a couple of people around that help me that have been at this for a long time. They are pretty different from each other so that has been good to show me different sides of stuff.

I agree with this. I'd like to hear someone with a floor that would not support a Bridgeport. Only thing I could think is if you are putting it in a kitchen with ceramic tile floor and didn't want to crack it or maybe in the kitchen with a linoleum floor or something. But garage, concrete all will be no problem.

This is also why the in person look at the mill you want is important. You can see the scale of what the things are. If you find some thing for sale go look at least to see it. Maybe find a machinery store locally to check out Bridgeports and clones.

Also can see with a Bridgeport you can really move aluminum like half inch cuts if you want, small table top not so much. Bridgeport will handle steel and harder metals, table top mill not so much.

Choice depends on what you want to do with it but be forward looking on what you may need later.

My shop is built with a 3/4" plywood floor over 2x6'is Sitting on blocks on sand.A bridge would not sit stable on it.

for small part accuracy ,cannot beat big ridged machine,contrary to popular opinion a small low priced machine is not as accurate, small accurate machine will be in the $6-10,000 range and higher, look close at the BP style and its clones.
As stated grow into not out of
A normal 4 inch plus concrete garage floor is more than adequate, level machine and relevel in a month and check every 6 mos
Big used mill easy to resell bench tops lose value quicker than a new car
If space at premium and small is imperative and gun work to be accurate and safe be prepared for big $$$$

I dont know how deep your pockets are, but buying the same thing 2 times is never good for the wallet. It is hard enough for me to scratch up 100 bucks, let alone 2-4k. I cant see saving up 2k and buying a mill then saving up 4k to buy a second bigger mill. Yet I have a small lathe, or no cutter grinder, or no surface grinder, or plasma table, or any number of tools I could be buying with that second mill money. The only exception would be a big knee first and bench top cnc later.

You dont need a big knee. But dont cut your own throat if there is any way to avoid it

My shop is built with a 3/4" plywood floor over 2x6'is Sitting on blocks on sand.A bridge would not sit stable on it.

Edit: I commented it would hold it but withdraw the comment thinking I don't know the quality of the shop build so I am not qualified to say.

I have a bridgeport clone, and I am very happy with it, but if I were in the market, I'd look hard at an index mill. the nod adjustment is in center with the spindle and would be way easier to tram in than the bridgeport types which have the pivot some distance back from the spindle.

Back