Mill Column installation on a Sherline lathe

PK1

Registered
Registered
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here. I have always been fascinated by lathe work and after watching numerous YouTube videos on the topic I bought myself a Sherline lathe package with a 17" bed (the C-package with DRO), and at the same time ordered a mill column to convert the machine when I need to do mill work. I was going to get a separate milling machine, but space restrictions combined with me being completely new to all of this suggested that a hybrid set up was a good starting point.

I assembled the lathe without issues, and before getting to tuning and aligning everything I wanted to try out the mill column, but installing it has got me puzzled. Surprisingly there is very little information on the mill column installation on the Sheline lathe on the internet - at least that I could find - and Sherline's own website directs you to the generic installation manual for lathes and milling machines with no reference to installation the mill column on the lathe, so at the risk of being embarrassed by a very obvious answer to my question, here I go:

The lathe headstock connects to this arrangement on the lathe base which is a simple and elegant design:

IMG_0162.jpeg

However, the mill column have a very different arrangement, basically two screw holes:

IMG_0163.jpeg

My first thought was that I may have the wrong column for the lathe, but I had called Sherline before I placed my order and they were the ones who told me to order this item by part number, and also considering that Sherline accessories are interchangeable between the lathe/mills, it's likely that I have the right item but haven't figured it out. Of course they are closed over the weekend so I can't call them.

Those of you with this accessory on the Sherline lathe, any suggestions on how to install this thing?

Nothing on the internet about it? I don't own one so I can't advise you
-Mark

Mark,
Unfortunately not. If there is a mention of it somewhere I haven’t been able to find it.

Thanks for finding this!

Looking at it closely though, I don’t think it’s installed. It looks like the column is leaning on the wall, and it’s also on the side of the base when (I think) it’s supposed to go where the headstock is located.

I have a Sherline lathe and mill, but have never tried putting the mill column on the lathe since I have a mill.

You may already have this, but this is Sherline's instructions for installing the milling column to the lathe.

Vertical milling column

I don't completely understand the issue you are having from the photos, but there is a separate lathe milling column base #45050 and milling machine base #50050 so it is possible you received the wrong base.

If you are following the instructions above and that is not working for you, I'd send Sherline an email. I have had very good service from them, and I'm sure they would have somebody walk you through the installation. If they did in fact send you the wrong base I'm sure they will get that straightened out.

Yep, that solves it, I have the wrong base!

If you look at #45050, you see that the bottom of that base is identical to what the bottom of your headstock looks like on the lathe. Installation would simply mean that you remove the headstock, install the column in its place, tighten the set screw and you’re done with the column installation. Then you install the headstock on the column. The whole thing should take two minutes.

The bottom of the base that I received is configured very differently (see picture above). I am assuming what I have is the same as what your milling machine came with. Did you have to screw the column in place from the bottom?

I had already sent Sherline an email earlier but was hoping I could solve this before Monday in case I was overlooking something, looks like I wasn’t. I’ll sort this out on Monday.

Thanks for the help!

I have the mill and the lathe also. The base they sent you is the standard mill base. It will not fit on the lathe. You need #45050 as you indicated above. Frustrating but solvable.
BTW- If you ever move up to a full size mill and lathe these Sherlines make pretty good tool grinders! That's what mine is now.

Agree, easily fixable. I’m sure (hope) their customer service is good and I’ll take care of it on Monday.

BTW- If you ever move up to a full size mill and lathe these Sherlines make pretty good tool grinders! That's what mine is now.
I was looking to get a Precision Matthew’s lathe, but just don’t have the space for it. Good to know these will come handy in the future when I do have the space!

You use both the lathe and the mill to grind tools?

Back