Mill Column installation on a Sherline lathe

The mill, really. I mounted a diamond wheel on it and run the spindle horizontally.

I was looking to get a Precision Matthew’s lathe, but just don’t have the space for it. Good to know these will come handy in the future when I do have the space!

You use both the lathe and the mill to grind tools?

Getting bigger machines down the road doesn't necessarily make the Sherline obsolete.

I now have some larger lathes, and mill but I still often go to the Sherline for small work. Much higher RPM than the larger machines for one thing, quieter, smaller lighter tooling to handle and I have far more tooling for the Sherlines than any of my other machines.

Getting bigger machines down the road doesn't necessarily make the Sherline obsolete.

I now have some larger lathes, and mill but I still often go to the Sherline for small work. Much higher RPM than the larger machines for one thing, quieter, smaller lighter tooling to handle and I have far more tooling for the Sherlines than any of my other machines.
Yes, I still have a couple of Sherline lathes one for small items and one set up for small threading. Also have a long column sherline mill, both can work for small items but then I have larger items for bigger projects. My first PMResarch kit was don on Sherline only.

Just to close the loop on this, Sherline did send me the correct column and it fits perfectly as designed. Haven’t started milling anything yet, but it’s good to know that I now can!

@kvt, my next project is going to be a tap/die holder tool for the Sherline, and there are no shortage of design ideas online but I’m looking for something that can “fit” the little Sherline. Since you have a Sherline dedicated to small threading, I’m assuming your using some sort of a tool for it. If so, I’d love to see what you use to get some more ideas.

No have a full set of threading gears and the set up for doing it single point. Have made some real small threads with it. If I had the tailstock setup I prob would have sold the smaller Sherline and just keep the long bed one.

No have a full set of threading gears and the set up for doing it single point. Have made some real small threads with it. If I had the tailstock setup I prob would have sold the smaller Sherline and just keep the long bed one.
Funny that I forgot about the threading gears - even though I bought one too as a package with the lathe! The thread cutter is still sitting in the box, that may be why I forgot about it.

Back