Mill Handwheel

The tube did get squashed, to a rectangular shape. I was a little disappointed but it actually adds more grip to the wheel, to my surprize.
Without a radius built into the rollers, of the proper diameter, the tube will distort. No big deal. This was a one of project, I may never use it again for tubing, flat bar, or solid round stock , maybe

The tube did get squashed, to a rectangular shape. I was a little disappointed but it actually adds more grip to the wheel, to my surprize.
Without a radius built into the rollers, of the proper diameter, the tube will distort. No big deal. This was a one of project, I may never use it again for tubing, flat bar, or solid round stock , maybe

You can fill the tube with sand or even water before rolling to help keep any unwanted deformation to a minimum and you could most certainly ALWAYS make additional wheel sets to swap out for round pipe which would really kick up its usefulness in the shop without trying very hard!

That brings up a whole world of interesting ideas. A double D shape (two flats), or use formed rollers on the outside, and keep the flat on the inside, and get sort of a half round. Add side rollers to make a square with rounded corners.

TJB heres more info on the ring roller.
The main frame is 1.5x1.5 sq tube 7" wide by 8" high. The base is 2" sq tube x 9" long.
The roller bearings are by Torrington YCRS 32 2" od. 5/8" ID.
The adjustable wheel is mild steel 3"OD knurled. I inserted 2 bearings 6202-RS-16 front and back. All the bolts are 5/8" NC grd.5.
The adjusting screw is 5/8"-8 acme RH threaded x 12" long, from an old vise. The top plate is 1/4" F bar. I made a acme threaded insert and welded to the fixed top/back plate, which is then bolted to the sq. tube up rights.
. The front and back guides are also 1/4"F bar. The sliding insert that holds the adjusting wheel is also 1.5x1.5 sq. tube.. The turning handle is 13" long 5/16" F bar. I put a 5/8" spacer be hind the adjusting roller for clearance.
All the material was from my scrap pile. And since I had a can of nice blue paint from an other project why not paint it blue, hides the rust.
Any other questions let me know.View attachment 298745View attachment 298745View attachment 298746View attachment 298746View attachment 298747View attachment 298747View attachment 298748View attachment 298748View attachment 298749View attachment 298749View attachment 298750View attachment 298750
Thanks for the info, Aliva. Sorry for being so slow in responding, but I'm not able to be in the shop very much for the time being - neck surgery in 2 weeks, plus whatever they convince me is necessary for recovery.

I've given passing thought to making one of these but never got around to it. Glad I didn't. Yours looks like a better build than anything I was planning.

Thanks for sharing, and if I have any questions when I start on it, I'll let you know.

Regards,
Terry

Back