Mill is 3-phase 440v, I have 1-phase 220v - What kind of options do I have?

Thanks Nelson, just a bit of impromptu "welding". :biggrin: Unfortunately that panel needs to stay live even in the "off" hours as I almost always have people working in the building until the wee hours and during weekends. That particular panel supplies the power for the circulating pumps for the building's HVAC system as well as a couple of tenets' computer systems that stay live 24/7. Major power outages are one thing and unavoidable but I just can't bring a panel down on a "whim", even one of mine! :biggrin:

With already having three #3 awg wires and a #10 awg wire in the conduit I have my doubts about the viability of the "shop vac method". I just don't think whatever I were to use (unless it were a maybe a portly ferret ;)) would be able to seal well enough to propel it along.

I did try and use a flexible "bore scope" to see what was up but it only has a 3' reach and the problem area was out of it's range. Now, if I were to strap a mini-cam to the ferret...

-Ron

Can you use the #10 as a pull string? And pull a new #10 run along with the #3?

Ron

I agree with 42 especially as it goes with what I just mentioned, use the #10 wire to pull through a length of thin rope, then pull a #3, a #10 and another length of rope into the conduit. If the #10 that came out is in good shape, you could pull it back in, or at least it is a lesser expensive wire to replace if necessary.

Walter

Can you use the #10 as a pull string? And pull a new #10 run along with the #3?

Ron

I agree with 42 especially as it goes with what I just mentioned, use the #10 wire to pull through a length of thin rope, then pull a #3, a #10 and another length of rope into the conduit. If the #10 that came out is in good shape, you could pull it back in, or at least it is a lesser expensive wire to replace if necessary.

Walter

Good call guys. This is going to be my "Plan C" for tomorrow (if I can get a hold of some #3 wire), plans A and B are in the trash heap. My only misgivings with this (still think it's the best option at this point) is that if something goes awry I lose my ground and then wouldn't want to turn the power back on in the "shop" without it. "No guts, no glory!" I guess. :biggrin:

As always, tune in tomorrow. Same bat time, same bat channel. :biggrin:

-Ron

All went fairly well today. How's that for a big surprise? ;) :biggrin:

I cobbled together something to make the pull easier (out of some 12 gauge wire, a couple of wood screws, and a broom).

Now if I had taken the time to get/make a solid spool I wouldn't have had to run back and forth after pulling 10' - 20' of wire. It did get the job done though. The white stuff on the wire is actually the yellow pull lubricant and you can also see that I pulled through some nylon line as now I have to pull some #6 awg (not #10 that was for a different ground) tomorrow.

Remember those costs I mentioned earlier? So far I have about $500 in wire alone. Good thing I only had to pull one leg through. Now I need to figure out just what power panel I need to get. I'd like it to be just a bit bigger than the current panel but I don't know as of yet whether anyone makes a panel of that size for 3-phase/4 wire, 240v, and 100 amps. Time for a bit more research it would seem.

Actually making some headway :biggrin:,

-Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright! The biggest problem is now behind you, once you have finished pulling your wire, you can move forward and power up you equipment.

Alright! The biggest problem is now behind you, once you have finished pulling your wire, you can move forward and power up you equipment.

I'm a bit "closer" anyway. ;) Lots to do yet before I'm ready to apply power to anything. Replacing that power panel is a big one. Can't use the "old" panel as it's just a single phase. I have to find a 3-phase/4 wire box to replace it with. Once that is done I've still got to put in the conduit and sockets to plug in to. It's sort of like making something on the lathe/mill, where you can spend a good chunk of the time making a custom tool/fixture to do the actual job. :p :biggrin: I've got bunches to do before I can just "plug in".

I'm starting to get a better understanding of just "why" it costs the power company so much to do a 3-phase drop.

-Ron

Ron check ebay for a used box. I got mine off ebay a lot bigger than I needed but the price was right.

Paul

Check to see if there is an outlet in your area that deals in used electrical equipment. It's possible that they would have just what you need. It probably won't be as cheap as eBay, but you can at least inspect it before you buy and there won't be shipping charges. Try to find the same brand you have now so you can use the breakers you already have. Pay attention to plug-in vs bolt-on breakers.

Back