Mill spindle comes to speed, click, slows down, click, repeat

I'm not sure that's a good idea! After what you said about your friend using it on 110 volts, I'm guessing something else is wrong.

Tim

Hehe...
you let there be light
but it was not good
Heh heh heh.
Well... I have beautifully (for me) run 220v, off of my dedicated hot water heater circuit, thru the attic, having created a junction before the heater on/off switch, so I can run the mill with the heater temporarily switched off....
That's why I think I will run 220V off my dryer instead. I definitely have control of when the dryer is running. I can just not run it when I have something plugged into the 220V outlet I plan to add. I have several machines that could benefit from the juice, but I will probably feed it to my CULUS MAXIMUS (big ass) American-made Industrial Air compressor. Which I run exclusively to power a blow gun. Because you need a 220V 30 gallon 1 hp industrial compressor to run a blow gun.

Yeah I think it's just time to give it a try. ...but I'm going to shower the fiberglass insulation off my man-boobs first and say a prayer for Deus ex Machina to ...salvum me machina?
The other guy is probably right about waiting. The other other guy supposedly had the thing running on 110, and if you plug it into 220, you might let the smoke out. I advised you to do just that, but I'm an idiot!

Hey, either way, BONA FORTUNA!

I'm not sure that's a good idea! After what you said about your friend using it on 110 volts, I'm guessing something else is wrong.

Tim
Thanks Tim... you could be right but...
Well, I'm looking at it this way:
1) I'm already perilously behind on my at-home manufacturing project and I've been farting around for days now.
2) There are no diagrams available for this motor and I'm not a guru enough to ohm out the windings and know what's going on
3) The capacitors are ok
4) If there's an internal problem in the motor I likely just need to go get that new motor my eye is on and maybe fix this one later for something
5) It was, indeed, starting up way sluggishly compared to machines at work or even my drill press, it's labeled 220v (no mention of 110), and two of the guys here were saying it seems like half voltage symptoms.

Ima go hit ON...

OMGoodness it's WORKING...
It did not stop! It just started nicely and kept running quietly!
O.O
I wish I could gauge the rpms... honestly it seems like a milling machine going its fastest (in top belt/pully speed) that doesn't go as fast as a Bridgeport at work all out.

OMWord I think it's simply working.

*** Could it have been running for a while on 110v (unhappily and sluggishly) with a couple guys who didn't know any better, and then it just finally got a little too cooked to do so, but will still run on full power?
I suppose there's also the option of a career fireman not being honest with me... he's a little odd but... this part is confusing.

By God (praise God) it just seems like it's running beautifully to me.
Not like something straining on double voltage in my opinion.
I'll normally run it in a slower mode...

Oh wow...
again THANK YOU everyone for your insights, thoughts, and attention.
:laughing::dancing banana:

The other guy is probably right about waiting. The other other guy supposedly had the thing running on 110, and if you plug it into 220, you might let the smoke out. I advised you to do just that, but I'm an idiot!

Thanks... you guys are right that is prudent (lol, let the smoke out), but this motor was quickly whizzing me off and becoming expendable with no data on it.

I'm hoping it isn't seeming okay but about to burn up, but honestly it seems normal to me now.
It was starting up wayyy slow on 110v.
But I'm wondering if it was barely getting up to speed and "working" for novice Mike a few times on 110v and he made some planed aluminum bits-- is that possible on 110v even truly meant for 220? Or should it not have run under any circumstances?
He said it did the start/stop with him a couple times but then worked after that, and so he wrongly thought it was his power bar. The guy before him, no I don't trust. Mike didn't use it a lot but claims it ran indefinitely for a while on 110v...?

BOY it seems like it's working perfectly right now on 220v!
:cheerful:

If I let the smoke out I'll go buy the new motor with the nice wiring diagram! Hee...
Wheeeee!

BOY it seems like it's working perfectly right now on 220v!
:cheerful:
That's right. Safety protocols? You don't need no steeking safety protocols if you're prepared to buy a real motor that actually has a verifiable pedigree. Like the great Earnest P. Whorl once said, parts is parts, and motors is motors.

I heard that debane. And according to Earnest he's immensely over-educated, which offsets his being over-dressed.:dunno:

Whee.. hehe...
She does kinda seem like she's truckin'... but I'm sure I'd be able to see if she was going like over 5 or 6 thousand RPM (is that what would happen on double AC voltage, double speed like AC?)

It truly seems like a similar speed as my drill press (and now starts up with similar zeal).

Now, my drill press says top speed is 3500, whereas the generic plate on the mill states top speed 2600...

...but part of the whole info. problem has been this is a generic, “white label” mill that India, China, US, and God knows who else have been putting all kinds of different motors on (never the same one twice).

But, so, if the plate was referring to top speed is 2600 RPM with an 1100 RMP motor (like it mentions), but this was actually a 1800 RPM motor (common for 1HP, including my hypothetical replacement) then would that be about right, doing maybe 3500 instead of 2600.

I'm not going to be running a lot. Just a precision operation, maybe a half hour a week run time tops.

I don't want to burn up my spindle, so I'll slow it down until I get my seasoned machinist ex-boss over here to help judge the RPM's...

But I think it's not as fast as the Bridgeport I've seen go 4500. I'll bet she's doing 3500 (spindle speed, and of course surface speed increases with diameter). And the motor looks like one doing 1800 if I had to guess. Not over 3000 or something.

Congratulations! :clapping:

I got thinking about it, and I believe that if the motor was wired for 110v and you applied 220v you would just blow a circuit breaker.

As far as the mill working on 110v and having enough power to mill anything is a mystery.

Tim

You can't safely overvoltage an AC motor in hopes of gaining additional speed (If I understood your intentions correctly). The frequency is what determines the rotation speed, along with the way the motor is wound.

If variable speed is needed, the motor can be replaced by an inverter duty 3 phase motor and a VFD. VFD's are able to be found with single phase 240V input up to 3-5HP. The VFD changes the frequency of the output thus giving you speed control.

Chinese motor identification is an enigma. A "Y" motor should be a three phase motor but a three phase motor doesn't have start and run capacitors. The correct designation should be "YCL" for a motor with start and run capacitors. the 90 apparently corresponds to power class. Not sure about the "S". The "6" refers to the number of poles and 6 poles would be correct for a 1140 rpm motor.

Back