Milling Angles...? Sine Plate Or Tilt Vise?

This is an operation on the mill that I have never attempted. I don't own a sine plate or tilting vise,
so what do I need to mill angles to create 15° and other cuts on steel, e.g. to make a Jacobs style wedge
or toe/edge clamps and similar tools. Can this be done safely and effectively on a tilting vise?

I would rather use a sine plate but the good quality plates are expensive. B&S or Suburban tool.
I may buy a good used plate, small. I see them on Ebay, but then you also need a set of gage blocks.
All this can easily become a $500 purchase. I see no other way to do this type of work accurately.
Thanks.

As a toolmaker apprentice I made about 35 sine bars for the shop .

What about one of these tilting tables? The small ones seem reasonable priced. tilttable.jpg

I recently was trying to mill a 20° angle on a 2"x 2" block of Aluminum, do not own an angle block set or a tilting vise, so as I was searching the net to find an easy solution that I could understand and follow, I found this youtube video that showed me exactly how to accurately cut a 20° angle without angle blocks,here's the video:

A sine plate is not required to set accurate angles. They can be set up with simple blocks with just a small increase in complexity. The following drawing shows the setup.
Sine Plate.JPG
A block, B, of appropriate height is chosen. Blocks X, X', and B are clamped to the table. Block X' keeps block B from pivoting when block P is clamped. Block Y is clamped distance a from block B. Plate P is laid in place and the workpiece or work holding device is clamped to plate P. Block B and plate P should have reasonably sharp edges for accurate setup. Calculate a' and a from the equations in the drawing.

For best stability, clamp the work and workpiece between B and Y.

If the part to be milled is small enough, can't it be clamped to a slotted angle plate with the angle plate in a vise? (slotted angle plate, no web, in the vise like a V).
The angle can be set with blocks and checked with an accurate protractor? I've seen small work done this way.

Last edited:
How do I get the extra copies in the previous post deleted?? Duh?

Since you require a high degree of angular accuracy only a sine plate will do, drop the cash and be done with it.

Back