Milling Attachment

34_40

Just a beginner
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Curious if anyone has a milling attachment? And, more importantly, if anyone with a 100 series has one??

I see one of the major auction sites has a unit listed but the price just scares me off! I just can't tie up 5 large for a tool that I might only use once every few years.

So I'm curious if this is a useful tool and maybe I should reconsider?:thinking:

My advise would be to save your money and buy a mill. Even if it's a small mill/drill it will be much more useful.

I have one and use it occasionally for holding odd work pieces, ie, Broomhandle Mauser upper receivers to bore the barrel stub for threading and rebarreling. I bought it just for that use. It has paid for itself many times over. Would I buy one without a specific use in mind? No, unless I had a use that would justify it. It's almost a special use tool. Set up is tedious. Save your sheckles and get a mill or shaper. I have two shapers and they do almost all I need. I have a large mill but it is in storage for now. I can borrow the use of one when a mill is the answer to my dilemma. The reason for shapers over a mill is tool cost. Milling cutters are much more expensive that a piece of M-2 or M 42 and a few minutes with a grinder I can have a new tool and sharpening it is a breeze. No so easy with milling cutters. Besides there is a certain "cool" factor to shapers.

My advise would be to save your money and buy a mill. Even if it's a small mill/drill it will be much more useful.

I have the same thought(s).... but my curiosity has me thinking! :whistle:

Thanks for the reply.

- - - Updated - - -

I have one and use it occasionally for holding odd work pieces, ie, Broomhandle Mauser upper receivers to bore the barrel stub for threading and rebarreling. I bought it just for that use. It has paid for itself many times over. Would I buy one without a specific use in mind? No, unless I had a use that would justify it. It's almost a special use tool. Set up is tedious. Save your sheckles and get a mill or shaper. I have two shapers and they do almost all I need. I have a large mill but it is in storage for now. I can borrow the use of one when a mill is the answer to my dilemma. The reason for shapers over a mill is tool cost. Milling cutters are much more expensive that a piece of M-2 or M 42 and a few minutes with a grinder I can have a new tool and sharpening it is a breeze. No so easy with milling cutters. Besides there is a certain "cool" factor to shapers.

Thanks for the reply! I am saving sheckles.. :rofl: it just seems that when I think I'm close to finding a mill that I can afford.. something happens or I just miss the sale or....

ANyway, I'll keep on searching, and maybe I'll consider a shaper!?!?! :thinking:

Curious if anyone has a milling attachment? And, more importantly, if anyone with a 100 series has one??

I see one of the major auction sites has a unit listed but the price just scares me off! I just can't tie up 5 large for a tool that I might only use once every few years.

So I'm curious if this is a useful tool and maybe I should reconsider?:thinking:

Not sure if you'd want to get into building one but just in case here's a set of plans from Vintage Projects.

Vintage Projects

How to Make a Milling Attachment

I have owned one in the past before I had a mill and it was quit useful.

Don

Well Ski.. you clicked dislike.. Care to tell me / us why? What don't you like about my question?:dunno:

Well Ski.. you clicked dislike.. Care to tell me / us why? What don't you like about my question?:dunno:

I wouldn't take this to personal as of yet, sadly and much to my embarrassment I've had to PM a user ot this forum and apologize for my unintentional dislike.
I'm not even sure how I did it, I can only attribute it to a small tablet screen, large thumbs, frantic and undisciplined scrolling habits and a unfortunate alignment of my thumb and the dislike button.:))

I got a dislike today for saying the custom gears a guy cut were "awesome man". I assume it was a mistake. It sits next to the like button.

For $500, you're into a decent used bench top mill/drill setup that you'll find much more useful. Once you get one, you'll wonder how you lived without it.

GG

Back