Milling Circular Arcs By Cnc

I would agree that tooling is key to a great finish, as well as rigidity of your setup and machine. Maybe contact CGS Tool, they can select the proper tool, I use their tools with great success. Plus they are USA made. Add in a profile finish pass of .010 or less as well with high rpm and slow feed. Good luck with it, nice reels

I think the main concept here is taking it from the mill and it's ready to use. From CNC to dropping it into the reel. What about finishing with bead blasting or sanding? The ridges that cutters make on the mill are awful looking but they're physically tiny. 320 grit (that's 320 particles per inch or .0031") should wipe them out, leaving just a grade or two of abrasive to get a really nice finish. 600 grit then 1000? Or 320 then bead blasting?

Just don't do it anywhere near the machine; abrasives on the ways are A Bad Thing.

Bob

Bob, if you reread his post he says that currently all he has to do now is tumble the parts in stainless media and they are ready to go. I bet it will be the same in this case, except for one issue, interpolation circles can show the slightest backlash on your finish, particularly on the 90deg point where direction changes, choosing the correct lead in and lead out can help, I know with my system using a circular lead in/out leaves the best finish for me.

Wow this auto text really did a number.

Last edited:
I would also look into CAM toolpaths, there are multiple CNC methods of machining a circle. An real industrial CNC mill is going to be WAY more accurate than any manual mill with a rotary table, if you want to hold .0001 you can. That said given these components are round I'd also look at CNC lathes. Modern higher end CNC lathes basically have a multi-axis CNC mill built into them, they drill, tap, and mill from the front, the top, the back, its ridiculous what you can do on one. Of course just one live tooling head tool holder costs $8k :disillusion:

I guess that my original question was, how good are CNC motion controllers when it comes to interpolating circles? Perhaps some are better than others. I am considering purchase of the KFLOP controller by Dynomotion. The CNC mill itself can cause problems if it is not sufficiently rigid, if the ways are not tight, or if the lead screws have backlash. But the advice that I am seeking has to do with the electronic motion controller.
I recognize that a motion controller does not alternate between X and Y motions but rather coordinates them to occur simultaneously. Still, I am imagining that there will be a series of "facets" on the largest radius arc, and these will only go away with manual finishing.
The reel back plate is a better item for discussion than the front end ring. The back plate has many surfaces that I can turn, and I usually finish with 320 and 600 grit, wet. But the OD with its 5 projecting lugs has to be milled. I first rough out this shape, leaving about 0.010 inch for the final passes. The really fiddly part is making all the final arcs meet correctly. There are 28 arcs in all, 9 are concave and the rest convex. (All concave arcs have radius 0.156 and are cut with a 5/16 end mill.) There are 18 points of inflection, where a concave arc meets a convex arc, and the part does not look right if these transitions are not tangent and smooth. This is where CNC should be a great time saver.
After turning all surfaces that can be turned, and milling the outer profile with light cuts, I tumble in stainless "jewelers mix". This tumbling removes all the sharp edges where the mill has cut the outer profile. It does not greatly change the appearance of the turned surfaces and the milled outer profile. I rely on manual mill and rotary table rigidity to make a good outer profile surface.
Dave

Still, I am imagining that there will be a series of "facets" on the largest radius arc, and these will only go away with manual finishing.

I have never see any evidence of ''faceting'' on any size radius cut with a modern motion controller. You did see this with some of the old NC paper tape machines when they would convert arcs to a series of short lines forty five or so years ago.

Most arc problems today come from mechanical issues rather than the controller.

On my home built conversion using Mach and bobcad cam there is no evidence Of facets, Even WITH An Adaptive Roughing path it cut very nicely then of course a finish profile pass, the side walls look great, my board is a c62 from cnc4pc and I'm not using a separate motion controller like the smooth stepper. I'm using servos with 2000 line encoders my step resolution is pretty low, like half a tenth or something

I will add that if your getting facets or lines on your walls you need to adjust your feed or rpm, or both to make sure your using the correct chip load. I have a finish end mill 5 flute that wants .0015 ipt feed, equates out to 2200 rpm at 17ipm feed rate. Too little feed causes rubbing, light doc with too slow feed causes rubbing, light doc and HAUL ASS causes the correct chip load and a good finish....

Last edited:
Also, a tool manufacturer was highly against selling me their bad boy alu end mill because it would cause poor finish cause my machine couldn't keep up

Dave,

I agree with Jim and Chevy, don't think you will have any problems with facets.

Kevin

Back