Milling machine power feed

While very true about LMS my reason for not suggesting them is OP is in the UK and since Brexit it is crazy to try to export there now.
Doesn’t cost anything to ask them: if they have something that fits they can provide a shipping/customs quote.

Thanks for the reply’s all. I can get the horizontal power feeds on uk eBay as well, but they are over £100 more than the ones I pictured above. The LMS works out at about £180 more than the one I pictured and that’s without shipping. I think the horizontal does make more sense. Guess I just need to pay the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know how you are with electronics but I’ve seen a couple of DIY type feeds that look a lot like the LMS feed on YouTube. I know they can be expensive and are since I bought mine, but I’m sure you won’t know how you got along without it once you get it going.

I had to re purchase one as I kinda fried my first one. I got distracted and forgot it was on slow feed. I’d had to leave the safety end switches off because of my DRO. After I bought the new one I took the old one down to a neighbor and we figured out it had overheated one of the brushes melting the surrounding plastic around the brush holder. We fixed it with epoxy and I’ve been contemplating how to mount it on the Y axis as there have been several times recently where it would have been handy. I think the Bridgeport style would work better though.

I bought a Grizzly mill drill (RF 30 clone) in around 1985 with a power feed. I later acquired a Jet JVM-830 mill and adapted the Grizzly power feed to the Jet. Photo of the mill and the power feed (alas, not a close up) is below.

I also Google'd "mill drill power feed" and saw multiple hits, including this one from Precision Matthews.

The only thing I'd question is the speed. My mill drill had a 10 tpi screw on the X-axis with a power feed designed for that turn rate: 10 turns of the output shaft moves the table 1 inch. However, my Jet mill has a 5 tpi screw (0.200" per turn); so the table speed is doubled. I always leave the pot at the lowest setting which has worked fine.

Looking at the PM power feed, it looks to be a standard RH side knee mill unit mounted on its side. If your mill drill is a 10 tpi screw, the feed will run at half speed assuming the power unit is a standard one going to a 5 tpi table. On the other hand, most power feeds can move a lot faster than you'd ever want to cut at so it shouldn't be a problem.

Bruce

1698008221193.png

20160812_065303.jpg

Looking at the PM power feed, it looks to be a standard RH side knee mill unit mounted on its side. If your mill drill is a 10 tpi screw, the feed will run at half speed assuming the power unit is a standard one going to a 5 tpi table. On the other hand, most power feeds can move a lot faster than you'd ever want to cut at so it shouldn't be a problem.
Good catch Bruce! It has always bothered me that I am always so far into the slow part of the adjustment that it’s just barely past a stall. I’d not thought of the tpi as a factor(doh!).

Search for ALSGS ALB-310SX - it's for horizontal mounting which you will need for your setup; i have a similar PM mill.

i've purchased from these guys before:

I may be missing something, but I think I’m missing something!
786ac795a17835995c1a6557a08aed13.jpg

I would assume I also need to have the opposite part to the highlighted item in the picture. I’d imagine this opposite part would slip over the keyed end of the lead screw shaft. The kit states it comes with all items required to fit to my type of mill, so where does this other part come from
? Or am I missing something?

eccf5a1f3350b6d08d83f4560e83e1fc.jpg

dd6c682967dda63b3ce3132fdb1268fb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Your handwheel engages a 3-lobed hub on the shaft; it's part of the mill. Where are all the guts that you took off the mill to expose the bare shaft as pictured?

Back