Millrite Moving Methods?

Just a reminder, it’s summer time. A lot of D3 college athletes are back home, loitering around the neighborhoods. Put those strong backs to work!

Okay...so that was a long day...

Long story short: yes, I seriously need a turbo for some things...but the Toyota did great, overall. I picked up five things: mill, a lathe, a brake, a sander that ended up REALLY pissing me off later in the day, and - for some reason - a punch press. A baby punch press, to be exact. Loading was about as easy as could be when there are three other people around that all think they know the best way to do everything, so it was basically the art of saying "Sure, let's do it that way" and not paying for things until everything was loaded and secured...so if they broke stuff, they broke their stuff. But, it actually went very well; the trailer was nicely balanced, and I could have done 65 all the way home if 1) I had the aforementioned turbo for the hills, and 2) the roads weren't BRUTAL with a loaded trailer. It wasn't just potholes; it was serious plow and ice damage that couldn't be avoided...or even seen until too late. One impact hit so hard that part of a table support on the sander broke  and allowed the table to literally fall off the machine, whereupon it took out a ratchet strap and the entire machine shifted about six inches... so we had to lever that back into place on the side of the highway. Thankfully I had extra straps, etc...but the jarring roads were just so, so bad. In one section we stopped every ten to fifteen minutes to check and re-tension things...but the funny part is that the top-heavy mill and lathe didn't move at all. I had as many straps on every piece as I could get on them - between three and five - but the roads didn't care: they just beat us to death. But we're home safely and we have a few days of clear weather for unloading.

Everything is still tied down as it was last night, so I'll get pictures today. And if anyone wants a 100-ton punch press that needs to go to a loving home, I know where you can adopt one for a very reasonable fee.

Okay...so that was a long day...

Long story short: yes, I seriously need a turbo for some things...but the Toyota did great, overall. I picked up five things: mill, a lathe, a brake, a sander that ended up REALLY pissing me off later in the day, and - for some reason - a punch press. A baby punch press, to be exact. Loading was about as easy as could be when there are three other people around that all think they know the best way to do everything, so it was basically the art of saying "Sure, let's do it that way" and not paying for things until everything was loaded and secured...so if they broke stuff, they broke their stuff. But, it actually went very well; the trailer was nicely balanced, and I could have done 65 all the way home if 1) I had the aforementioned turbo for the hills, and 2) the roads weren't BRUTAL with a loaded trailer. It wasn't just potholes; it was serious plow and ice damage that couldn't be avoided...or even seen until too late. One impact hit so hard that part of a table support on the sander broke  and allowed the table to literally fall off the machine, whereupon it took out a ratchet strap and the entire machine shifted about six inches... so we had to lever that back into place on the side of the highway. Thankfully I had extra straps, etc...but the jarring roads were just so, so bad. In one section we stopped every ten to fifteen minutes to check and re-tension things...but the funny part is that the top-heavy mill and lathe didn't move at all. I had as many straps on every piece as I could get on them - between three and five - but the roads didn't care: they just beat us to death. But we're home safely and we have a few days of clear weather for unloading.

Everything is still tied down as it was last night, so I'll get pictures today. And if anyone wants a 100-ton punch press that needs to go to a loving home, I know where you can adopt one for a very reasonable fee.
Don't worry about those roads, They will impose another gas tax on you so that they can use it for environmental stuff and you will still be driving on potholes.

I am not throwing stones or trying to start arguments here, but, but if you look at the photograph 7mile posted you will see that the trailer is tounge low. The mill is loaded properly for a level trailer, but the way it’s sitting there isn’t enough weight on the rear axle of the truck which causes sway. A properly loaded trailer doesn’t have a speed limit! Going slower is just a bandaid, all it takes is a bad spot in the road to set it off.
You are 100% wrong. If you look at how those trailers are designed and built, the only way to adjust toe and camber is to use shims behind the axle mounting plate and the mounting plate on the trailer. There is no inherent toe-in. I should also point out that it is a rental trailer; therefore, who knows when or even if the alignment was checked.

Secondly, my experience with the trailer "getting out of whack" was when it was empty, so how it was loaded was irrelevant. Once my mill was on the trailer I drove home at 55mph. I did this for two reasons... 1.) I had no desire to go above 55mph. It already demonstrated that it doesn't like anything above that speed so I was not about to check if that held true with my new mill on it. 2.) The difference in time between 55mph and 65mph for the distance I traveled was 16 minutes. I will go slower and arrive safe.

Edit: My truck has airbags, so determining the load by looking at the picture is impossible.

You posted a picture and complained about sway on a trailer without axle equalizers. I can see the trailer is tongue low, this transfers weight to the front axle which reduces tongue weight and can lead to sway. Toe and camber aren't the causes here. Had the coupler been moved down, air bag pressure increased or weight added over your truck axle your towing experience would have been better.

Let's agree to disagree and move on!

You are 100% wrong. If you look at how those trailers are designed and built, the only way to adjust toe and camber is to use shims behind the axle mounting plate and the mounting plate on the trailer. There is no inherent toe-in. I should also point out that it is a rental trailer; therefore, who knows when or even if the alignment was checked.

Secondly, my experience with the trailer "getting out of whack" was when it was empty, so how it was loaded was irrelevant. Once my mill was on the trailer I drove home at 55mph. I did this for two reasons... 1.) I had no desire to go above 55mph. It already demonstrated that it doesn't like anything above that speed so I was not about to check if that held true with my new mill on it. 2.) The difference in time between 55mph and 65mph for the distance I traveled was 16 minutes. I will go slower and arrive safe.

Edit: My truck has airbags, so determining the load by looking at the picture is impossible.
"Toe In" Is adjusted using a tie rod, Trailer axles do not have them. Toe in has nothing to do with Camber or Caster. These adjustments are normally done on a steering axle. You can adjust "Caster" with wedges. Trailer axles have built in "Camber that straightens up once a load is placed above them. I was a Heavy Equipt mechanic for around 30 years, I set the toe in on many Big Rig Tractors etc.

Now lets see some pics of this major machinery Haul!

1687458286442.png

Last edited:
Pictured: Funny-looking marks.

PXL_20230622_150441151.jpg

That's literally the only picture I have, right now...but I'll get some more in a few. Washing the Toyota at the moment, so I'm not untarping anything until the water spray goes away. But it doesn't look so terrible, there.

Back