Millrite X-Axis power feed install

D9EAD907-7B51-4217-AB63-4863EEFE1B3A.jpegHere’s a pic of final installation. It is a bit longer than need be and I plan on using it for a while and once I’m happy with the shims I’ll probably shorten it a bit. Once I am sure everything is good to go, I will probably Loctite the extension onto the 5/16” rod with green Loctite assembly locking stuff I have. I forget the Loctite # .

I’ll probably shorten the stick out of the bronze bevel gear too. Not a big deal for now. I just don’t want to mess with anything until I’m happy and sure about the operation. The instructions suck. They point out 2mm of backlash. I think it’s right now but not 100% sure about it because they instruct to remove bottom cover and check backlash.
Maybe I’m missing something because I didn’t see any benefit of removing the cover to check backlash.
I do know it wasn’t working right until I played with adding and removing shims. CE393C74-EDED-4402-BCA0-E35EE0BF7A10.jpeg

By the way, keep forgetting that I went with a Bridgeport dial since it mounts directly to the gear. I could have enlarged the Millrite dial but for 39.00 I bought a Bridgeport dial.

And Bob, what do you mean about end thrust of lead screw. Do you mean I should make sure no slop in end thrust or... I should make sure I have some backlash so to say in the end thrust of screw.

Some people forget in their design work that we have to have the lead screw constrained from moving along the axis in both directions. You did just fine, Tim. I also used a Bridgeport dial on that end of my Millrite. I did my mod so it can be completely reversed back to stock configuration again, with no one being the wiser unless they looked carefully in all the hidden corners... I also saved all the original parts not used with the mod, my Millrite was new and unused (but had about 1/8" of dust all over it when I got it, had been sitting in a nice climate controlled for all those years, zero corrosion.

I pretty much copied you Bob. I just didn’t remove my leadscrew. Otherwise the spacer and such pretty similar to your installation. Thanks

Back