Mini Lathe Correct Cross Slide Setup?

Hello All! Thanks for all the patient feedback without any batting about my ears.

As an utter newb I did assume that a 7in lathe could turn a 7in piece of stock (not that I can turn anything more than about 10mm right now, ha!). The largest project I have in mind is 108mm OD alu but that would need to be turned on a larger lathe to get good results anyway.

As I move along, I will have a million more question for everyone, but for now I will start small and get creative as I go along. The LMS extension kit adds 1.0in which is not insignificant for U$75.

First project is a base for a LED goose neck light so I can see what I am doing on future projects. Basically, 2in OD disc at 0.75 depth, with a rebate to hold the magnet. I think threading is a little outlandish for me at this time so I will cheat and use a tap.

Great intro article link from Brino. Nice simple work around from kd4gij. Thanks Again!

You can turn 2" stock.Change the jaws out using the outside gripping ones,should be two sets of jaws on a scroll chuck.
When you chuck a 2" round the work will be 1" from the centerline of the bed.Keep in mind the larger rounds up to 3" require more torque on the motor to make your cuts.If you had an imaginary line running parallel from the center of the chuck to the center of the tail stock and measured to the tool holder,you will see that dimension is at least 1-1/2".Which makes a 3" round cut possible.
If you think you may need to turn larger than 1" diameter stock often, then look around for a larger capacity lathe.
Keep the lathe you have now.LMS website has great info for mini-lathe owners.The Sherline site is also very useful.
mike

HansWorks,

Complete lathe specifications should include both swing over ways _and_ swing over the top/compound slide.
For many you need to pull up the full specs to get the those numbers.

The other "funny" thing is how the swing is sometimes defined.
It is normally maximum diameter in North America, but might be maximum radius in Britain/UK.

Did you determine if you can get more swing by turning the compound-slide to the same direction as the cross-slide?

Here's another couple good references:
The Amateur's Lathe by L.H.Sparey: https://www.amazon.com/Amateurs-Lathe-L-H-Sparey/dp/0852422881
How to Run a Lathe by SouthBend: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/resources/sb-how-to-run-a-lathe-1966-27th-edition-56-pdf.2909/
(there are a few different versions of that SouthBend manual on this site, and I believe it is still available in re-print)
I still turn to these on a regular basis.

As I move along, I will have a million more question for everyone
Thanks for all the patient feedback without any batting about my ears.
Well, you've got the right place for thoughtful, respectful answers.
That's what I have always received here and it makes me want to respond the same way.
Ask away..............

Be safe and have fun!
-brino

Hey Brino + Kwoodhands-
Thanks for the additional input and resources. My excuse for buying a lathe is to learn basics. I've always worked in wood and had an ah-ha moment when learning some basic welding... "hey, i cut it to short BUT... egads! I can add some back on, then.... put it in a machine and clean it up" Hopefully the mini lathe can be a reasonably priced learning ground.

Plenty of crazy videos out there to look at setups, here's a 3in steel stock in 4in jaws on mini lathe:

However, I quickly see where this is going, that the lathe is the lesser part of the expense even if patiently waiting for used tooling. Consolation is, tooling can be used on medium sized lathe and of course measuring tools can be used on lathe, mill and on and on till I retire and have to live in an unheated tool shed for the last of my days.

Fortunately, I do have very limited access to a large Southbend lathe and Bridgeport Mill but need to have some idea of what I am doing before being allowed under close supervision. Tool addicts are very protective of their hoard, as they should be!

I'll report back when I've got the lathe setup and turned my first part. Cheers!

Hey Brino + Kwoodhands
Terribly slow feed rate for that op, a much better finish would be had by doubling the feed and speed this will somewhat eliminate the striations that occur on hot rolled steel finishes yet not always however.

Hello All! I just purchased a lightly used Little Machine Shop 7x12 mini lathe, and this is my first post. Thank you in advance for any help sorting out my question/issue below.

Could anyone tell me if the PO setup the cross slide correctly? He was turning only pen sized plastic material.

Based on the current setup only small diameter materials could be milled. Certainly nothing even approaching 3in. The red line in the photo shows the max distance the tool post can be moved away from the stock 3in chuck.

My background, just to let you know how green I am: I work as a graphic designer but I am addicted to tools. I have only spent about an hour on a large South Bend lathe and about the same on a Bridgeport vertical mill.

Thanks again!
View attachment 130890
You can turn 2” with this set up. Change the jaws to the inside set to hold the stock. You have a quick change tool post, so you can move the tool holder to the back of the tool post. Fit a left hand tool into the holder with enough reach for the part and away you go. It’s not a super rigid setup, but it will work. You don’t need to change the orientation of the compound, the set up is fine for the job you describe.
Have fun!

Steammodels, I doubt you'll get any response, this thread is 6 years old.

Here are a couple pictures. The first was taken with the compound set at 90 degrees, and measuring from center line of the lathe to the cutting tool. It shows about 1.5 inches, which would mean about a 3 inch Outer diameter.
The second picture is a side-by-side of the extended cross feed, it shows how that extra inch is gained (longer cut-out for the nut to engage and travel along the thread by an extra inch. This would mean that once installed, a 5 inch Outer diameter could be cut, with the compound at 90 degrees. Keep in mind if you rotate the compound you can back the tool off even further for a larger outer diameter.

Stock cross slide with compound at 90 degrees one point five inches.jpg

Extended cross slide assembly below in comparison with stock.

extra inch extended saddle.jpg

Just realized that this thread is six years old. Wondering how it got surfaced again.....

Last edited:
Back