Mini mill coolant

redvan22

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Been thinking about doing some sort of coolant system for my mini mill for some time and if it works out, possibly adapting it to my mini lathe. However, research has shown me that although there are many methods, flooding is the best.
This project will require a tremendous amount of work redesigning my work area, not to mention building the system itself and the containment enclosure.
I've tried sprays and oils and other lubricants and the smoke generated is not something I want to deal with in my small shop.
If there is something I can use that doesn't smoke up my shop and that'll spare me the work, time and expense of this project, PLEASE let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Mike.

I tried a mist coolant system on the mill & didn't like the mist that got into the air. I do use some WD40 on aluminum and it does smoke some. I use a fan to scatter it, but my hobby corner is in a 25,000' work shop. I cut steel dry, keeping speeds and feeds in a range that doesn't overheat anything. It may dull the tooling quicker, price paid for avoiding the mess of coolant. Knee mill.

My lathe has a factory installed coolant system that I've never used. 1440
Maintaining a coolant system is also an issue. Checking concentration, some get foul smelling, tramp oil? Splatters everywhere. Worth it? Yes, for production work, Hobby??

Been thinking about doing some sort of coolant system for my mini mill for some time and if it works out, possibly adapting it to my mini lathe. However, research has shown me that although there are many methods, flooding is the best.
This project will require a tremendous amount of work redesigning my work area, not to mention building the system itself and the containment enclosure.
I've tried sprays and oils and other lubricants and the smoke generated is not something I want to deal with in my small shop.
If there is something I can use that doesn't smoke up my shop and that'll spare me the work, time and expense of this project, PLEASE let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Mike.
I use a range of cutting fluids on both my Mini Mill and Mini Lathe, including lard oil, AlumTap, Viper Venom & Anchor Lube. Application is by brush or squeeze bottle with a hypodermic (not sharp!) needle or plastic nozzle depending on the viscosity of the fluid. I don’t like spray or aerosol, so when I use WD-40 I use a brush.

The retired Tool & Die Maker who got me started used a brush and occasionally a pump oil can for cutting oil and a wash bottle from the Lab for a blend of water & liquid hand soap (for plastic), but then that was 50 years ago.

For a mini mill the level of heat is small due to lack or ability to create a lot.

So minimal effort required.

A simple spray bottle is fine.

If however you want to automate try this.

Windshield washer pump, look for automotive unit with pump built into tank.

There are programmable relays that can be programmed for pulsing output as option.

Use a relay with coil voltage same as mill motor to control pump that sprays water via a cooling mister nozzle.

The nozzles are 10-24 thread and about a buck each at amazon

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Build a ''Fog Buster'' type spray coolant system. The droplet size is greater than the mist type systems, thus doesn't put a fog into the air.
On my way towards building one but is there a suitable coolant that isn't going to create a cloud of smoke that I can use?

is there a suitable coolant that isn't going to create a cloud of smoke that I can use?
I, and many others just use Kool Mist #77. It is the delivery system (Kool Mist type system vs a Mist Buster system) that makes the biggest impact on if it will create a "cloud of smoke". Stick with a Mist Buster type system and you should be good to go.

On my way towards building one but is there a suitable coolant that isn't going to create a cloud of smoke that I can use?
I got a no-frills “solder smoke” fan with activated charcoal filters a few months ago to help control cutting oil smoke: eventually this project will rise to the top of the pile and I’ll post the results.

I got a no-frills “solder smoke” fan with activated charcoal filters a few months ago to help control cutting oil smoke: eventually this project will rise to the top of the pile and I’ll post the results.
That's an awesome idea. Thanks.

We use Blaser Blasocut, 770 I think. But Koolmist products will work fine.

Back