Mini mill EXOSKELETON project for December.

Thanks Hman! Glad you like the images.

I got the model of the mini mill from GrabCad: It was done by Mat and he really put an incredible amount of detail into it.

I deleted most of the parts and converted the model using Rhino.

From here the critical parts were imported into Sketchup for the component modelling.

Sketchup is the fastest 3D package I know of for modelling and planning stuff like this. I am using a number of custom shortcut keys that really speeds up everything.

I usually use keyshot for the renderings.

The bridge has a bit of a cutout on the left, together with 3 mounting holes : these will be used to mount the gas spring that I am currently using.

Capture.PNG

Just checked the volumes in Sketchup - This will add 36 kg / 79 lb to the weight of the mill.

Is there a strong reason to keep the column swivel? If you're going to all the trouble in the drawings, why not simply transplant the column (for the rack and dovetails) onto a large box section column? Or make your own column with linear rails and trucks - someone on here did that and it seemed to work out really well.

Is there a strong reason to keep the column swivel? If you're going to all the trouble in the drawings, why not simply transplant the column (for the rack and dovetails) onto a large box section column? Or make your own column with linear rails and trucks - someone on here did that and it seemed to work out really well.

I have considered that, but I do not think I will be able to get everything perfectly square. And shimming the column if it is not square will be a bit of a headache - hence the adjustability.

I think you'd find it easier than you think. It's simply a case of measure tram, calculate shim thickness, insert shims, remeasure tram. Probably take you a couple of hours at most then it's done pretty much forever :) Several posts on here how people with square column mills fixed tram issues.

If you tilt the head, you can achieve 90 degrees of travel. With a tilting column that is as tall as your table is wide, you can only achieve a fraction of that (useably). With the tilting head you can build a more rigid column.

Amen to that. The journey is its own reward in this hobby. Nobody really saves money in the long run, but who cares?
I don’t care....I have enough for retirement....I wish I could buy more time on this earth to enjoy

Back