Mini-mill in my future?

The really important think to look for in a belt sander is a solid platen that doesn't move or flex.

If you can get a good deal on a cheapo sander there are some pretty good youtube videos on improving the stock stamped sheet metal platens. These mods can make even the worst of the imports into serviceable units. Not as good as a quality unit, but it will get you by.

You mentioned not having a zero ring (dial) on the cross slide. My mill drill does not have a zero ring and to make matters worse one full rotation of the X or Y is .125 instead of .100. My solution is writing down the starting point and then calculating the reading for each pass. For example if the starting reading on the dial is 33 and I want to take off .010 with each pass I make a list starting with 33, 43, 53, 63 and so on. If you are boring a hole the list would be 33, 23, 13, 3, 93 and so on. I keep a writing pad handy to write stuff down to keep track of what I am doing.

One of your first projects could be to make a zero ring. There are videos on how to make dials. Tubalcain/Mr. Pete has one on his website and there are others. Do a search. If you haven't been to Mr Pete's website you need to go there. He is a retired high school shop teacher with hundreds of videos on everything imaginable. https://www.youtube.com/user/mrpete222/featured Before I would make a zero ring I would make a rear parting tool holder. Mikey has shown one that he made. I forget where he posted it. He will chime in here. Parting will be one of your biggest challenges. A rear parting tool holder pretty much solves that problem.

Another good first project would be to make a Norman style QCTP. It can be made entirely with a lathe and a drill. No need for a mill. This will give you lots of practice turning and boring to precise diameters. See my threads on this. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/norman-style-qctp.79705/ https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/tool-post-holder.69487/ You can always buy an Aloris type QCTP later if you want to.

Making your tooling is a good way to gain experience with your lathe. Sure you can buy stuff but that won't give you any experience in how to use it.

If you can get a good deal on a cheapo sander there are some pretty good youtube videos on improving the stock stamped sheet metal platens. These mods can make even the worst of the imports into serviceable units. Not as good as a quality unit, but it will get you by.

I’ve got two 6” grinders. I wonder how much effort it would take to make a add a 2x42” belt to one side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got two 6” grinders. I wonder how much effort it would take to make a add a 2x42” belt to one side.

If you get an aluminum oxide (white) wheel for one of your grinders, that will work. Making a 2x42 belt sander is on my project list, but I've done fine using an 8" bench grinder and following Mikey's instructions from the other thread.

If you have a welder or know someone you can bribe, 2x72s are pretty easy to build. I mean, my dumb arse can do it... :)

20180114_190414.jpg

For a newbie an adjustable table/support is a must no matter whether you are using a bench grinder or a belt sander. How easy that would be to add to one of your bench grinders depends on how the existing support is attached. The support must be able to be tilted. If the support can be tilted then all you might need to do is fasten a larger plate to the support. This plate could be wood, plywood, steel, aluminum or whatever. Each side of a tool bit has two angles. The angle of the table/support gives you one angle. I use a combination square to set the angle of the table You can get the other angle by using a combination square. This is how I do it on my belt sander.

IMG_3749.JPG

IMG_3705.JPG IMG_3706.JPG IMG_3707.JPG

Grizzly sells a bench grinder with a belt sander on one side of the grinder. https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-Combo-Belt-Sander-Grinder/H7760 Getting the correct angles might be tough. It would all depend on the adjustability of the support/table.

For a newbie an adjustable table/support is a must no matter whether you are using a bench grinder or a belt sander. How easy that would be to add to one of your bench grinders depends on how the existing support is attached. The support must be able to be tilted. If the support can be tilted then all you might need to do is fasten a larger plate to the support. This plate could be wood, plywood, steel, aluminum or whatever. Each side of a tool bit has two angles. The angle of the table/support gives you one angle. I use a combination square to set the angle of the table You can get the other angle by using a combination square. This is how I do it on my belt sander.

View attachment 305178

View attachment 305175 View attachment 305176 View attachment 305177

Grizzly sells a bench grinder with a belt sander on one side of the grinder. https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-Combo-Belt-Sander-Grinder/H7760 Getting the correct angles might be tough. It would all depend on the adjustability of the support/table.

Thanks for the pictures, they help me visualize what I might build.

The Grizzly grinder/sander combo is interesting for the parts list as I can see how the unit is put together. Fueling ideas to replicate.

If you have a welder or know someone you can bribe, 2x72s are pretty easy to build. I mean, my dumb arse can do it... :)

View attachment 305169

That part that eludes me is sourcing the rollers for the belt.
Welding I can do :)
I just can't do it well. Hadn't touched a MIG gun in 15 years. Took a while to get back to respectable. Not sure I'm there yet!
This is a mobile stand for my Unisaw.
4339d34fc2f7f6c0b3e9a0f2ba9372f9.jpg

4339d34fc2f7f6c0b3e9a0f2ba9372f9.jpg
21ebc8963097dabe5ec4ee568e0b2bf1.jpg

Last edited:
Rollers are all over eBay. I have the plastic ones from Oregon Blade Makers. They have held up surprisingly well, no issues at all. I figured I would just turn some aluminum ones when I wear them down, but I haven't needed to. Maybe I'll make some just for fun.

I keep telling myself that I'll grind a knife on it. It looks like fun.

Your beads look better than mine, have at it! :)

Thanks!
I’m single handedly raising the share price on Norton Abrasives!
Actually it went better once I got my little Millermatic set up right.

Back