Mini Split install

Well the 4th set of lines just arrived. Later than they said. For some reason they shipped a set, then requested they be returned. Then sent them out again. I suspect the first shipment wasn't checked for equal line length and called them back. The set I got was opened and taped back up.

So now I'm waiting for my shoulder to get better. I woke up about two weeks ago and my left shoulder hurt like he'll. Pretty much couldn't move my arm. It's somewhat better now, I was able to use the power draw bar on my mill this morning with a lot of pain, but I got the customer part finished.

Hopefully soon I'll heal up and get this little project finished. It's hell getting old :(

20240511_135048.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I have to turn a 90 degree corner and I don't think there is any way to make it fit inside the cover corner fitting without kinking the lines. Especially with the heavy cover that's on the lines. It's hard to grab and do any bending with them. I'll just have to have use a bigger radius and have the corner exposed. The shop is in the back of my house so looks aren't a huge deal, except for me and my obsession to make everything look as good as I can. I don't want it to look like crap.

It has been a couple of years and I am going by memory... The line set covers come in 3" versions and 4" versions. I went with the 4" version and it gave me enough room away from the house to turn an outside 90 degree corner without collapsing the lines. I had to make the outside cover myself by cutting a V in a straight cover and bending it at the V with a little heat from a heat gun.

The line sets I purchased did not have the insulation for the 2 lines molded together. Each individual line came in its own coil, This made it much easier to install. It also allowed my to put some pipe insulation over each line for extra insulation and to insulate them from each other. The 4" line set cover had room for the extra insulation, a 3" cover definitely would not. The 4" line set cover also has more room to make the bend coming out of the wall from the interior head unit. The 4" line set cover made the whole install easier.

There is no way I could have ordered a line set the proper length, too many turns to make a good measurement. I ordered long line sets and cut them and flared them myself with the proper YellowJacket oval/eccentric flare. Like mentioned previously I used Nylog on all of the connections. I used the Crows Foot wrench ends that fit on the end of a socket wrench to tighten the connections with my regular torque wrench. It worked well. After a few years I have had no issues.

Last edited:
Hope all heals quickly :confused:
Thanks, unfortunately it's not going to. I finally gave in to the pain and went to see a doctor yesterday. Rotator cuff tear. They took xrays, I'm just waiting for the bad news now.

So mr cool is going to sit on a pallet indefinitely, along with many other things.

Thanks, unfortunately it's not going to. I finally gave in to the pain and went to see a doctor yesterday. Rotator cuff tear. They took xrays, I'm just waiting for the bad news now.

So mr cool is going to sit on a pallet indefinitely, along with many other things.

If you don’t improve as expected ask for an MRI. X-rays have their place for checking bones but can miss the full extent of the injury. MRI shows all the soft tissues to see what is where and how bad the injury is.

He said depending on what the xray shows they may bring me in for a mri. I hope I will hear something today. The pain pills he gave are useless. Something called tramadol. Apparently a morphine derivative, and morphine has no affect on me as noted in my drug list. And he gave me 10 of them, one every 6 hours which works out to just over 2 days. Hard to believe the it will heal and the pin will stop in 2 days.

Well here is the results of the xray. Nothing about a tear. I asked if he was sure the cuff was the problem and he told me 100% yes.

I'm not sure if this is good news or not.

Screenshot_20240516_161518_Chrome.jpg

My experience with shoulder injury 2 years ago:

Fell shoveling snow in February and hurt my shoulder. Xray showed bones OK and clinical signs were supporting rotator cuff injury.

Primary care referred me for physical therapy. Weeks into physical therapy I was not progressing.

MRI ordered and it showed a massive tear of the rotator cuff. Needed surgery and had surgery to repair rotator cuff in August.

Physical therapy after surgery stopped progression weeks into therapy.

MRI showed the rotator cuff repair pulled apart and I needed replacement.

December had a reverse shoulder replacement and physical therapy again.

I recovered then and replaced shoulder seems fine now.

Lesson for me MRI is essential.

I also still resent the physical therapy people a little for implying I was not working hard enough

I've been reading a lot about this. Lots of different opinions I've found. I realize each person is different and the treatment will (should be) tailored to each person. Yesterday was when they referred me to the orthopedic surgeon and I hope they call today. My wife dealt with the same people when she had her hip replacement and they weren't real quick to respond to things. Made her wait a number of times. She just about told them to go jump off a bridge (well those weren't the exact word she used) The closest alternation to them is another 35 miles away.

The doctors office just now called, she wanted to know if I understood the instructions she sent. I said yes I believe I do. Said if it hurts don't do it. "Activity as tolerated" So apparently that lets breathing out as an activity. Not to mention the stretches they want me to do. I wish they would make up their minds on this.

She said be sure and take my pain pills. I said you mean the 10 he gave me for every 6 hours? The ones that are already gone? They didn't do squat actually. They are a morphine derivative and morphine isn't effect on me for pain. It says that in my medical profile.

Note to self: Don't let 18lb cat walk over your chest and onto your shoulder. :eek:

Last edited:
I had some long times with shoulder pain that made so I could not work.

I invented a devise that got me back to work 3 to 4 weeks early. It is a ball bearing slide for a drawer. This one is a 16 inch CENTER drawer slide. The center ones are thinner. Then at our Woodcraft store they have a big supply of boards that fit perfectly with double stick tape. That goes in front of the keyboard and holds all the arm weight. So can type and move mouse to keyboard with no shoulder movement and no pain.

A regular ball bearing drawer slide by itself would work.

In the picture I had to push aside the keyboard to fit it because I don't use it anymore.

Got me back to work and back to income early.

Attachments

• 20240517_113143.jpg
    20240517_113143.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240517_113107.jpg
    20240517_113107.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 5
Back