Mini Split install

Since our local power company operates at a Soviet level of eptitude, I've had the power go off several times when I'm out in the shop. Which has no windows or skylights, so it's *dark* when the lights go out. Usually takes a while to carefully feel my way to the door (suddenly the floor doesn't look like the best place for "stuff") and open it.

I think a light that goes on when the power fails would be a great idea. I'm surprised I never thought of it on my own...
About an hr ago, a pop-up ad during Interwebz browzing was for a screw-in light bulb that has a built-in battery. When the power goes off, it stays on for another six hours, and when power returns, it self-charges.

Well my outside unit came in Monday evening.

I installed it yesterday and it went in easily and fired right up. I was surprised that it went in so well and didn't have to do anything extra to get it to start working. When I pulled the lines they leaked down. They said they woudln't. So I had no choice but to hook up the new unit and give it a try.

They haven't called me to arrange pickup of the old unit, or called me at all like they aid they would. If no one calls I'll strip the unit for the one good circuit board and everything else I can take off it.

Hopefully this one will last longer than the first one did.

Well at least it sounds like they are taking care of the problems that arise.

Yes they did. Been running the system pretty much non stop. I'm keeping my shop at 62 deg.

I'm not out there all the time, but I never know when I have to go out and make a quick part for a customer or package up parts to ship.

I purchased an 18,000 BTU Mitsubishi mini split for my triple garage and did the bulk of the install myself. Once I had everything run and connected, I just had a guy come out, vacuum the line down and fire off the system. My run was 80ft so I had joined two line sets together and needed to add a bit of refrigerant to top off the system.

It ran great for a couple weeks but it must have been leaking at the coupler so he had to come back, solder the lines together in the attic and now I've been running it for over 2 years now.

I was quoted $4200 for the unit installed and ended up doing it myself for around $2400. I spent extra for a name brand unit though and I feel it was worth it in the long run. There were way too many stories of the cheaper units and there being no warranty. I purchased the unit off AC Wholesalers and got everything else at Lowe's.

Well my Mr Cool unit dies again. The dreaded "P1" error code. This is the new outdoor unit they sent me fro a replacement.

I'm losing faith in Mr Cool. They are sending me a new board for it.

Well my Mr Cool unit dies again. The dreaded "P1" error code. This is the new outdoor unit they sent me fro a replacement.

I'm losing faith in Mr Cool. They are sending me a new board for it.
Dang, too bad. I hope you are getting good advice from the tech dept.
I bought my Mr. Cool based on value and positive reviews. Two years old now and no troubles.
I hope that board solves the problem.

I've got one in my cart on Amazon. Getting ready to pull the trigger.

I'd think twice about it. Yes they have been good about the warranty, but this is twice now for me. The first time they replaced the entire outside unit. If this doesn't work I'm going to look into replacing it wilh a non DIY unit.

I've got one in my cart on Amazon. Getting ready to pull the trigger.
There sure are a lot of these units out there and they work just fine.
I know Adam Booth and Keith Rucker are enjoying their Mr. Cool DIY units.
I like a climate controlled shop.
I did look into a non DIY unit. I paid around $1,320 installed for my 1 ton unit.
The best contractor installed Mini-split price I got was $2,800> Heck, I can put two of these in and I'm still money ahead.
The one draw back is the extra hose/line. I just coiled it up and put it behind a panel outside next to the condenser.
I think alloy got a lemon.

Back