Mini Split install

This thread is relevant to my situation. I first went with a Mitsubishi unit, which has worked flawlessly for 3-4 yrs now, except that I had to vacuum down the lines ;myself and back purge with nitrogen. The unit works so well that I'm considering adding one to another room, and I admit to be attracted to the "just connect it together" approach. Your situation has me backing away from that somewhat...

Last edited:
We put in a MrCool 18k unit 2 years ago and so far cross fingers.
A contractor friend replied when I asked a couple years ago, that he had been putting in LG units but due to reliability issues he switch to Mitsubishi. A few of the other local guys are having better luck with those.
Pierre

I had posted earlier about purchasing mine. These guys were the cheapest I could find. https://skipthewarehouse.com/

I purchased a Friedrich 18K unit. Installed myself but had a friend that owns an HVAC business charge it with refrigerant for me.

There are rebates for installing certain units from the power companies depending on where you live.

Does anyone know how to find out which mini split has rebates and how to get them?

Getting a $300 rebate would be nice for a $700 unit..

I had a 2 zone mini split installed in my house. I went through my electric companies web site and found out about the rebate. Was $800 for us.

Catch is, has to be professionally installed and had to have it inspected. Did the one for the shop (Mr Cool) by myself.

I had a 2 zone mini split installed in my house. I went through my electric companies web site and found out about the rebate. Was $800 for us.

Catch is, has to be professionally installed and had to have it inspected. Did the one for the shop (Mr Cool) by myself.
When I was considering having mine "professionally installed", they wanted way more than $800... so I did it myself.

Last edited:
Yes mine was more than that also. The rebate was $800.

Well Mr Cool is cooling (heating) again. The board came in and the video that shows the board install is way off. Doesn't cover a 36k unit. I had to remove all the outside covers to get at the screws holding the unit in. Was a real pain.

Hopefully it will work for awhile this time.

Back