[Metrology] Mitutoyo alternatives?

spartan2381

Registered
Registered
Looking to pickup some DTI, mics, dial indicators and wanted to know if there and any good quality alternatives to Mitutoyo that offer the same accuracy.

@spartan2381 Are you asking for a cheaper alternative or??
The Cheaper Chinese made ones like the Asimeto mentioned above will work fine but no where near the quality imo.
I have an iGaging 6" caliper that is quite nice. Then I bought a Mitutoyo Absolute, the difference is not quite night and day but it is enough that I grab the Mitutoyo's 100% of the time. The feel and smooth action is just better.

I would stay away from Asimeto. They are not a measuring tool manufacturer, they are an importer with a brand name. ZZW from China has the same items only with a different color scheme. There are a number of different importers all former independent manufactures such as Fowler, SPI, and Moore & Wright that import from china while specifying better quality than generic made in China. If that is your choice try to get one that is competitive in that price and quality range. Below the Asimeto is closer to the price of the genuine Mitutoyo than the generic.
Best option I found is getting used top brand items, then inspecting them my self for my own confidence.

1612703593470.png

Also (obviously) Starrett. I bought a Starrett Last Word indicator back in the 1960s; never had a problem with it, still regularly use it.

Last edited:
Looking to pickup some DTI, mics, dial indicators and wanted to know if there and any good quality alternatives to Mitutoyo that offer the same accuracy.

For digital mics and calipers, Mitutoyo is the best on the market. Buy once, cry once. For analogs, Etalon/Tesa/Brown & Sharpe are all good. The most accurate analog dial caliper I have ever seen is made by Etalon. The most accurate vernier caliper I own is by Mitutoyo. Helios from Germany is also very good.

For DI's and DTI's, the Swiss instruments are the best out there. Compac, Tesa, Brown & Sharpe, Etalon are all made by the same factory. There are some small design differences but by and large, they are all of the same quality. Of all of these, I prefer Compac instruments. IMHO, Mitutoyo, Starrett and others follow behind.

Go to the Long Island Indicator website and read, then choose your poison. Brand new, Amazon usually has the best prices. Used, go with ebay.

I went through 3 Mitutoyo dial calipers in my 60 something years at the trade, it was mostly tiny crud getting stuck in the rack, causing skipping and inaccuracy, then I bought a Starrett digital caliper, did not like too much; short battery life if you do not slide the battery cover back to disconnect it. My favorite now is a Starrett dial caliper. Another thing about the Mitutoyo calipers that I had was that I had to stone the ID nibs off to get the to read true ID, they would typically be about .002" offsize.

I have Starrett, bought Starrett, used it. It sits in my toolbox as I use the cheap foreign made stuff I get on the big E, big A, or at the big H tool store. The 6 inch digital calipers with inch, metric, and fraction for $10 on sale work just as good as the REALLY expensive ones and I throw them away after I have dropped, squished, splashed, and they finally quit. I do the same with cutting tools, work holding, and precision blocks, pins, drills, etc. I just don't see spending hundreds when dollars will do just as well.

Back