[Metrology] Mitutoyo alternatives?

I respectfully disagree.
Imo they're not as good.
The feel of a good micrometer or caliper is definitely worth spending a few extra bucks. But yes they probably are as precise...?

The next step up is a really nice 6" digital caliper that is infinitely more cool than the ones that I use, in the $40-50 range sold at the local calibration lab.

I look at it as I have it now, it works, and now I can buy something else.

For someone wanting to shift up to a professional machinist, it can be an investment that will last a long time, but better to be in a tax situation where you can write off the expense.

Mitutoyo is great stuff and when it comes to mics I think starrett, brown and sharp and a host of others are pretty equal.
I have many starrett and other brand dial indicators. IMO nothing but nothing beats intrapid indicators then come mitutoyo indicators. I use Chinese stuff as door stops.
There is a wealth of good used machinist tools out there and see no need to pay big bucks for most new stuff and low bucks for Asian throw away stuff.
Stay away from pawn shops they are RIP offs. Look around and ASK around there are retired machinist everywhere

and calipers I think everyone should start with dial calipers and not digital.

I actually like dial calipers better than digital ones. I'm always worried I left the battery on or if the battery is about shot. With dial ones, I never have to worry about those.

I like Long Island Repairs commentary.

I have two of the Mitutoyo digital calipers that are powered by light. If it is bright enough for me to see the display it is bright enough to provide power. I get digital readout and no battery hassles.

I have two of the Mitutoyo digital calipers that are powered by light. If it is bright enough for me to see the display it is bright enough to provide power. I get digital readout and no battery hassles.
What models?

I don't have any name brand new micrometers but my favorite ones to use are Brown and Sharpe.

Back