mla tee slot cross slide

I’m definitely being forced out of my comfort zone with it. I assume that means I'm learning something. I can’t say I’ve got big plans for its use. I just remember the other Atlas I had was not quite as steady as I’d liked. This seems like an answer to that.

First t slot done. Not knowing what I’m doing, I decided forward progress was more important than equally spaced slots. Of course I will do my best, but the worst case is just not that bad. So here’s one down. Took an hour.

Attachments

• 660E06A8-5971-4BC0-A857-1FF83AFC377B.png
    660E06A8-5971-4BC0-A857-1FF83AFC377B.png
    280.2 KB · Views: 35
The T-slot cross slide, other things being equal, is more rigid that the stock one with the compound. However, without the compound and compound swivel, you can't cut threads properly. So either adapt the compound and swivel to the T-slot or keep both.

Mr. Lofquist includes a drawing for a button to mount to the new cross slide which will enable the use of the compound. As well as a new gib strip and set screws, he’s thought of everything it seems.

OK. Some of the T-Slot cross slides people have written up have been too tall to allow mounting of the stock compound with an AXA QCTP on it.

I’ll be sure and update the thread with what worked and what didn’t, provided I match print dimensions as specified. My hope is to use the tool post that came with my Grizzly 4002. It’s larger than AXA, but I intend on mounting it directly to the cross slide.

It will raise your compound considerably. You will also loose your degree markings for setting the compound if you use his drawings for a button. If you have a 12" lathe you can do what I did and go to a 10" compound and make a taller button. I made it so it was the same height as my stock 12" compound and cross slide. That way I don't have to reset the tool holders if I go back to the stock one. I also put degree marks for all 360 degrees instead of just 180 degrees.

IMG_0883.jpg
IMG_0884.jpg
IMG_0885.jpg

Rob,

I know that the photos are just to show how you mounted the pintle and compound swivel. But when you cock the compound aroud to 30 degrees, you should normally realign the QCTP square with the lathe's spindle axis. The way that I do it is to temporarily mount a piece of solid round (I use a precision ground test bar that I have) in the chuck, slack the TP pinch bolt or nut, and advance the compound until the flat face of the TP is flat against the round bar, and tighten the bolt or nut. With a Wedge type TP, you may have to put a #101 or 102 tool holder on the TP to register against the bar.

Unfortunately, I don’t have the 12” Atlas. Thank you for the pictures and explanation. I haven’t cut any sort of degree marks before. Honestly it looks both stressful and boring at the same time. In my case, with luck, the lathe will never be used for thread cutting. But I will keep the original compound and cross slide in case they’re needed. I use a protractor any time I need to set the compound accurately, so degree markings are also optional.

Back