Model 1906 Winchester pump 22 short.

Old Iron

Active User
Registered
My father inlaw Found this in a old house he was cleaning out, It only shoots 22 shorts. Anyone got any info on it like the year it was built or anything else? .

Thanks
Paul

#1.JPG #2.JPG #3.JPG

Old Iron,
Here is a chart. I hope this helps. Production started in 1905 but was insignificant until Jan. of 1906. Large groups of serial numbers were skipped., So serial numbers reached 848,000. Total production was 731,852.

Al.

Winchester.JPG

You can still get shorts. They are used by competition shooters. The normal outlets like Wally, etc are not likely to carry. You have to hit real gun stores and ask for them or have them order. At least in the Buffalo NY area that is what short owners have to do.

Give TargetSportsUSA.com a try. They have a huge supply of ammo for reasonable prices. Order by the case and shipping is free. I have used them several times for myself and our local Jr. Club and never been disappointed. :sailor:
Those are like the gallery rifles I used to shoot at the fair, you know, the ones with bent sights so you never won anything!

.22 shorts are still readily available... I have two Winchester 1906's. But, both of mine will take shorts, longs (long since defunct) and long rifle ammo (as marked on the feed tube). Both rifles are amazingly accurate!

I not seen a 1906 that only takes shorts... In either case, the 1906 is a fun toy! The safety isn't all that good on these and you can "pull though" it if you squeeze enough. Also, you can hold down the trigger and pump the action for western style rapid fire!

John

.22 shorts are still readily available... I have two Winchester 1906's. But, both of mine will take shorts, longs (long since defunct) and long rifle ammo (as marked on the feed tube). Both rifles are amazingly accurate!

I not seen a 1906 that only takes shorts... In either case, the 1906 is a fun toy! The safety isn't all that good on these and you can "pull though" it if you squeeze enough. Also, you can hold down the trigger and pump the action for western style rapid fire!

John

John It only saids shorts but the tube and the chamber will take long rifle so I tried it worked great. The gub is now mine he gave it to me...

Paul

Nice looking pump. Had one when I was a kid. Shorts, CB, Longs, sub sonic LR and lots of other 22 amo is carried by Cheaper Than Dirt. Thy thiere web site, cheaperthandirt.com Have lots of fun with it.

These are wonderful little guns and they can be worth a pretty penny in good condition. Several other manufacturers made the same basic rifle and they were also sold under store names like the Ward western field sold by Montgomery Wards and such. I repaired one of these a few years ago the lifter spring had broken and it wouldn't raise a cartridge from the magazine tube up to the chamber. It was an easy fix even though I had to make a new spring because I couldn't find one for sale but I gave it a good cleaning and it shot like a dream. I hated to give it back two months later I came across one at a gun show with the same issue and the guy sold it to me for $50.00 because he couldn't find parts. Now I love it and I have to pry it out of my little cousin's hands to clean it up because they love shooting it too.

You have a real keeper there

Back