Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

So, I'm still a rookie...what HSS tool do you guys use for chamfers? I see Youtube videos all the time where they use the edge of a diamond-shaped carbide tool. I'm not sure I've ever seen a video where they cut a chamfer with a HSS tool.

Craig

I do it all the time. Much the same way, I use the side of whatever tool is on the lathe, usually a square tool. Rotate the QCTP to whatever angle looks good and has clearance, then bring it over to the work.

I have seen HSS tools ground in many different ways, just about every machinist has his/her preferred way of shaping the tool. You can grind a HSS tool just about any way you like as long as it has side and front clearance and a bit of top rake mount it on center and it will cut.

One advantage of HSS over carbide is you can make your own profile tools Consider a thread cutting tool is a profile tool. I have seen complex shapes ground into a HSS tool so that the shape can be reproduced in a single plunge cut, Although you have to careful about chatter and not to overload small machines.

If you want a tool specifically for Delrin, make one with these angles. Like most tools, a few degrees of change can make a big difference and this tool works. Use cobalt, keep it sharp and it will take a huge cut without even slowing down.
Mike, going back to p. 15 #436, you give the measurements to use for a plastic-dedicated tool, and recommend cobalt. Which brand or type do you recommend to use?
Many thanks,
Tim

I do it all the time. Much the same way, I use the side of whatever tool is on the lathe, usually a square tool. Rotate the QCTP to whatever angle looks good and has clearance, then bring it over to the work.

I do this, too. I think the knife tool works better for chamfers but if I have a square tool in the post at the time, that is what I use. I don't own a dedicated chamfer tool.

Mike, going back to p. 15 #436, you give the measurements to use for a plastic-dedicated tool, and recommend cobalt. Which brand or type do you recommend to use?
Many thanks,
Tim

Unless you're doing a lot of work with Delrin, simple M2 HSS will do. Delrin can be abrasive so cobalt is a good idea if you work with that material a lot - holds an edge longer. I think any 5% cobalt bit you have on hand will work fine.

Oh, okay. Jump in when you can and join us. The guys and I will help you out if you need it.

Back