Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

Will do, I needed a form tool to cut a small pulley out of bronze round stock. .004 tip for the flat part at the bottom and 79° on each side. I winged it and got it done. They weren't critical parts but the right tool, a better lathe, and a lot more skill on my part, would have made it go quicker.

And to think this thread is still going!

And so it should be, tool grinding is probably the single most important skill in our field. after 58 years in the trade I'm still learning, and relearning things I had forgotten.

There is of course always more than one way to skin a cat. This is also true of tool grinding, while clearance angles and rakes are important in a general sense any tool that does the job is a good tool.

What I'm trying to say there is not really a single right way to do it. If we have a tool that works, even when others might say it's wrong, how can that be if it works?

I hope this thread continues.

I agree with all of you and especially you, Bob ... if a tool works for you then that is what matters.

As I think back, the initial and primary goal was to help you guys learn to grind tools that were known to work well. We chose tools that enabled us to do the three key turning operations - turning, facing and threading - and we learned what defined their functions and what the angles on each tool did. We learned about cutting forces and how each angle on the tool affected those forces and very importantly, the role of the nose radius and its relationship to deflection and therefore ... accuracy. We went through the thought process for altering those tool angles so that one day you will know how to alter them to meet your specific needs. Heck, we even went through how to use these tools and I hope that helped. The one thing we didn't cover was boring tools so I wrote a separate thing to handle that. Hopefully, that covers all the basic lathe operations except cutting threads.

Most importantly, at least to me, was the unexpected result of all of us getting to know each other a little better. I have a much deeper appreciation for all of you. I have also been totally amazed at how quickly you guys have picked this up.

Jeff in particular has been amazingly supportive. You guys don't know this but we lost the original three sets of model tools. I didn't find out about it until later, when Jeff admitted that he was grinding replacement sets and sending those models out on his dime. He did this quietly, without expecting anything from anyone. I believe this is Jeff's way of helping all of us learn to grind tools that will help us grow as hobby machinists and I am so grateful to him. We all owe Jeff major props for being the awesome guy that he is! Thank you, Jeff!!!

To all of you who made this thread what it is, thank you! To all of you who join us in the future, welcome and don't be afraid to ask questions. These guys now know enough to guide you even if I am not here.

If you take anything away from this thread, take this: Always ask why things are the way they are and then question if that thing can be done better. How does it work and what would happen if you change this or that? Understanding the what is not enough; you have to know why, how, and how much. Then don't guess; test it. Whatever you do, please don't accept that things are what they are because its always been done that way. Instead, question it and in the process, grow.

And no, I have not forgotten about the shear tool I promised to grind. I just have a great deal on my plate and don't have the mindset to handle that tool right now, but I did not forget.

I agree with all of you and especially you, Bob ... if a tool works for you then that is what matters.

As I think back, the initial and primary goal was to help you guys learn to grind tools that were known to work well. We chose tools that enabled us to do the three key turning operations - turning, facing and threading - and we learned what defined their functions and what the angles on each tool did. We learned about cutting forces and how each angle on the tool affected those forces and very importantly, the role of the nose radius and its relationship to deflection and therefore ... accuracy. We went through the thought process for altering those tool angles so that one day you will know how to alter them to meet your specific needs. Heck, we even went through how to use these tools and I hope that helped. The one thing we didn't cover was boring tools so I wrote a separate thing to handle that. Hopefully, that covers all the basic lathe operations except cutting threads.

Most importantly, at least to me, was the unexpected result of all of us getting to know each other a little better. I have a much deeper appreciation for all of you. I have also been totally amazed at how quickly you guys have picked this up.

Jeff in particular has been amazingly supportive. You guys don't know this but we lost the original three sets of model tools. I didn't find out about it until later, when Jeff admitted that he was grinding replacement sets and sending those models out on his dime. He did this quietly, without expecting anything from anyone. I believe this is Jeff's way of helping all of us learn to grind tools that will help us grow as hobby machinists and I am so grateful to him. We all owe Jeff major props for being the awesome guy that he is! Thank you, Jeff!!!

To all of you who made this thread what it is, thank you! To all of you who join us in the future, welcome and don't be afraid to ask questions. These guys now know enough to guide you even if I am not here.

If you take anything away from this thread, take this: Always ask why things are the way they are and then question if that thing can be done better. How does it work and what would happen if you change this or that? Understanding the what is not enough; you have to know why, how, and how much. Then don't guess; test it. Whatever you do, please don't accept that things are what they are because its always been done that way. Instead, question it and in the process, grow.

And no, I have not forgotten about the shear tool I promised to grind. I just have a great deal on my plate and don't have the mindset to handle that tool right now, but I did not forget.

Absolutely Mike. My favorite dislike is "we've always done it this way" That is a guaranteed way to stop progress. look, learn and question, not in argumentative way, but simply ask why do we do it that way, and if you have a thought "why not this way" let's hear it If it has merit we'll explore it, if not we'll explain why. No one here will laugh at you for having an idea. Without ideas, we as a species would still be living in caves and throwing rocks at other animals when we were hungry.

Have a look at the different threads and follow the guys who post their progress, some of these were never formally trained in the dark arts of metal machining, but are completely self taught, From them we are learning that the established way is not the only way.

Very cool Jeff! If you need another set, let me know. I'll ship a set or two to out. The models only take a few minutes to grind up.

Again thank you Mikey, Jeff and everyone that helped out. This has been the best thread ever on this forum.

Mikey, thanks for the kind words and all the hard work that you put forth to make this thread the success that it is.

Back