Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

Water actually works best to flush metal debris off diamond stones in use. Just keep the surface wet and rinse it off before drying it and storing. If the surface gets crud on it, clean with a powdered cleanser like Ajax, Comet and others. Use a nylon brush, not a metal one, and scrub lightly.

Fermic, you should be able to restore the edge to your tool with the cards that Aukai recommended. Use the coarse, then fine, then extra-fine and only use light pressure. Diamond cuts really fast.

I do not use the kind of grind on your tool. The edge is extremely fragile in my opinion, and it looks like it has too little side and end relief so the tool will tend to rub. This makes taking deep cuts problematic. The nose radius is rather large so the tool will deflect more than it should, making accuracy a bit more difficult to achieve. The side and end edges on both tools are at a 90 deg angle so neither one can cut into a shoulder.

You would be better off grinding a general purpose tools as outlined in this thread. It will cut with lower cutting forces so it will work better on your little Emco. It will also be able to access shoulders and if you keep the nose radius small, you will also reduce deflection to a minimum and thereby improve your accuracy.

I highly recommend you contact @Z2V and get your hands on the model tools he has. Copy them and make some tools like them from HSS. Then compare them to your purchased tools and you'll see the difference.

Are you people using import HSS or American brands like Rex, mo max etc. I find the import HSS too soft to be of much use and the American HSS almost impossible to buy locally.

I keep my eye on Ebay, every once in awhile someone cleans out a garage. Not sure how that works for you up north.

I am 15 mins from the border so I can pickup from a USPS forwarder when the border re-opens

Are you people using import HSS or American brands like Rex, mo max etc. I find the import HSS too soft to be of much use and the American HSS almost impossible to buy locally.

All my daily user tools are from US makers but some are from ETM (Israel) and Japan and those are just excellent. The Chinese HSS bits are not bad. They don't hold an edge as long but I think they're fine in a hobby shop. If I was strapped for cash and needed HSS I would not reject a Chinese bit.

You can find old school American HSS on EBay for a few dollars a piece if you are patient. Mexican Mo Max is supposed to be good to go as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What size blanks are you, and Fermic using?

What size blanks are you, and Fermic using?
5/16" HSS blanks for EMCO Compound or 3/8" if I can get my ass off to buy the needed material to make a plinth for my multifix so it can get under the center line.

Right now, that's the former one at this time.

I'll keep an eye out, are you going to be shaping your own?

I'll keep an eye out, are you going to be shaping your own?
Yeah, for alu and various metals. The pre-cut ones might be for cold rolled steel and definely NOT good with brass. Totally not cutting massive screw gouge in a brass rod.

Back