Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

When you're done with your grinder, we will be here.

Having the three grits will greatly speed up your honing. HSS is hard and trying to remove coarse grinding marks with just a fine stone will take a very long time. Given the small cost for a pack of three stones, it is worth buying in my opinion. I get them every few years because I tend to wear them out but they are worth it.

Based on my extensive 30 seconds of experience, I think you will be good to go. The finish I got with 36 grit was very nice. Invest in a bench stone and some diamond hones instead of additional belts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m beyond amazed. My 2x72 belt grinder build is finally complete and it was time for a quick test run before dinner. I slapped on a 36grit Norton ceramic belt and grabbed a junk 3/4 inch piece of Chinese HSS. Ground a 35 angle about .250 wide. It took maybe 15 seconds to grind and the bit was barely warm to the touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dangit..... now I have to build one of those....

Thank you Mikey. I don't think any other post got this many hits and it just keeps going.

Yeah, who woulda' thunk it? On the other hand, if confusion about how something worked had a degree of difficulty to it, HSS lathe tool geometry would have been #1 for me so I'm not surprised that it is for other guys, too.

As I look back on this, isn't it amazing how many successes we've had? You and I have been grinding tools for well over 30 years so we know this stuff. Many of our newer guys have caught up or surpassed us with their very first try! Sorta' humbles you, right?

Back