Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

I have watched many YouTube videos on tool grinding. Some using a large chunk of wood and others using actual tool blanks. I managed to grind tools that would cut but not very pretty.
I have not actually seen Mikey’s tool models but after reading and following his instructions I now have tools that I can make predictable, clean cuts and have a better understanding of how the different angles effect the operation.
If Mike is not a professional educator he would be a great one. I found his instructions very easy to follow and understand.
Hey Mike, how about some YouTube videos, they would be a hit!
Thanks Mike

Jeff

Well I told my wife that it was all Mikey's fault........ belt grinder all finished...... and works like a charm.

Did a piece of 3/8 full length key stock inless than a minute with 80 grit belt....... hardly heated up the steel.

Wheels from Jeff, D plate from Oregonblade on EBay belts from Red Label build tips from Ttabal...... scary to list the encouragements and tips at the risk of forgetting someone.

Once the work table is at 15 degrees it's a breeze.

Need to wear my new face shield and fabricate a metal shield for the top wheel on the D plate......standing aside is not the way to work.

Will graduate to HSS on the weekend then try them out on my small lathe. Very happy with the results. I realize that it is overbuilt like a tank but that was/is the stock I usually work with. Will tear it down when the weather permits....... roughen up the surfaces with the sand blaster and paint with grey POR 15 for a life time of enjoyment.

Ammo box underneath stores my belts with surplus military disseccant bags in the bottom. 12 guage cable stores on the back side and plugs in the welding outlet.

Thanks everyone

Bob C

IMG_0731resized.jpg

IMG_0732resized.jpg

IMG_0734resized.jpg

IMG_0735resized.jpg

Looking good Bob, I like how you set your work table angle that’s a good idea, Solid.
Will be really nice all painted up.
Did you get ceramic belts?

Well I told my wife that it was all Mikey's fault........ belt grinder all finished...... and works like a charm.

She looks great, Bob! I agree - the tool rest looks really solid. I bet it grinds really nice because of how well you built it. Congrats, and please tell your wife that I had absolutely nothing to do with it - let's blame Jeff, Travis, Dave Harris, DDickey, Twienke and whoever else we can come up with. :D

No I have not ordered any ceramic belts.....yet!!!! How much better are they??

Always afraid to use the HD grits...... I used 80 grit today and man does it work nice ...hardly any heat buildup.

I watched a few Utubes on grinders and tool sharpening and ne guy had made some aluminum blocks. 3/4x1x4 inchers, with channels grooved in by a milling machine at about 15 degrees in a cross shape specifically for 1/4, 5/16, and 3/8 and makes for holding the tool bits much easier and safer.... I lack the milling machine but will talk to a local shop about making me a set of 3.

During the summer, when I can fire up an old forge outside the barn, I may try my hand at making a few knives from old high carbon buzz saw blades just for the heck of it. I assisted a blacksmith at a pioneer village outside of Toronto years ago and I have made my own die for square nails, hand made hinges for a chest and a few camp site cooking irons. I know just enough to be dangerous.

Now that I have the grinder all kind of new horizons are in sight. In reproducing my cargo box during the Summer, I will be fabricating strap hinges from 1/4 by 2 inch strapping, the hinge pins, and devices to keep the opening side panels and tailgate and leanring how to hot rivet things in place. The grinder will be earning its keep with the finishing touch.

Thanks again for all the support.

Bob C

Well dang. I have tool rest envy now. :)

And no, we blame Mike for grinders and HSS tooling in general. I'm not sure what we blame me for yet. Making off size parts? :)

I don't think any one can blame me for anything....... I will admit to possibly putting a few ideas out there...... Besides that there are no pictures to prove any thing..... :cower: Thanks to Mikey and ALL the others here I can grind a tool that will work pretty good on my flexible machine now if I could just finish my belt grinder I may post a picture or two.

No I have not ordered any ceramic belts.....yet!!!! How much better are they??

Always afraid to use the HD grits...... I used 80 grit today and man does it work nice ...hardly any heat buildup.

Bob, try the ceramic belts - they cut much faster and cooler than the Alum. Oxide belts. I won't ever go back to AO.

Before you think about having those blocks machined, try grinding your tools by hand. The ceramic belts grind so cool that I don't think you need those blocks. Just dip the tool in water after grinding each face and I don't think you'll feel much heat.

I'm late to this party. A lot to read. Did the model thing take off? I've used inserts becasue I've been chicken to figure out how to grind. I've got a couple of lower end belt sanders (no tthe nice 72" versions), a 1" and a 2" discontinued 3-wheel craftsman. It's one of the ones that runs a little fast and no good way to control it. I read somewhere a long time ago of a guy who loved that machine for doing his bits. Anyway, I've got a pretty nice SB9 underbelt lathe and would like to learn how to do some tool grinding.

You're not too late! Read through Mikey's posts toward the beginning, ask a few questions and you will be grinding bits. I have a feeling one of your belt sanders will work with a proper belt. I have a sneaky suspicion you may have read Mikey's article on another site. Happy reading and please do ask questions when they arise!

Back