Models for grinding HSS Lathe Tools

As long as you enjoy the ride........ and give yourself a Gold Medal.

got some small "gas struts" for my grinder and working feverishly at building a tilt table for the grinder. Looking forward to getting it up and
"operational" than I can start the next late Winter project of building a "rotisserie" to help reverse engineer a 1940 cargo box for my old Chev.

Bob C

Hi Bob
Good to hear it’s coming together. Are you finally getting a break from the snow and crazy cold temps?

I need to go back through this thread so i can find the examples and instructions.

The meat and potatoes starts on page four.

Brento, somewhere in the one of the posts is a MS word document I put together of all of Mikey's tutorials on the actual grinding and reasoning for each step. It's 19 pages long on 8.5x11 paper!! Mikey should have been a professor - his explanations are great!

I have taken the long route and been copying and emailing myself the text which I later open and save as precious information. Mikey's style is so much superior to all the old school books (circa 1890) I have collected/read that are so hard to understand.

A number of hobby forums I belong to have a lot of similar "priceless information" which is worth every effort to preserve as most of us are on the slippery down side of our lives. I have a collection of photos taken of various military restoration projects which will be passed on as digital legacy to a fellow collectors to insure they are shared in the years to come..... it may fall under intellectual property..... but so is the story of Adam and Eve.

I did not read any where in this thread what kind of tool holder will be used. A quick change holder or a lantern holder. I have read some want to use a belt sander, bench grinder but no mention of a tool grinder. Then what about the grinding stones on these grinders. And I did not read anything about using a wet stone to polish the edge, a diamond stick to polish, what about a water stone? When I was teaching machining, we used a 2x2 wood stick shaped to the lathe bit we wanted copied. I painted the different surfaces different colors to be able to talk about what we wanted in the way of angles. As one mentioned, one change can cause chatter and more frustration. This all sounds like people want a lot of help but teaching is not easy, just because you hand out aids.
DBQ49er

I did not read any where in this thread what kind of tool holder will be used. A quick change holder or a lantern holder. I have read some want to use a belt sander, bench grinder but no mention of a tool grinder. Then what about the grinding stones on these grinders. And I did not read anything about using a wet stone to polish the edge, a diamond stick to polish, what about a water stone? When I was teaching machining, we used a 2x2 wood stick shaped to the lathe bit we wanted copied. I painted the different surfaces different colors to be able to talk about what we wanted in the way of angles. As one mentioned, one change can cause chatter and more frustration. This all sounds like people want a lot of help but teaching is not easy, just because you hand out aids.
DBQ49er

D, I agree that teaching tool grinding and geometry is not easy but try teaching it by typing the words over the internet. I agree that wooden models used while standing in front of a class is the way to go but I didn't have that luxury. I've tried to help guys grind tools before but only had varying amounts of success. The models we used in this discussion seemed to be the most effective way to get the points across and we have seen multiple examples of fine tools ground by quite a few of our guys here so, given the limitations of the teaching medium and the subject matter, I consider this effort a success.

Grinding tools can be done by wheel or belt and the choice is up to the user. My bias is towards using a belt and I made it clear that this is my practice. We have had a pretty extensive side discussion about that and some of the guys have built some pretty impressive belt sanders to grind tools with, which is cool. Unfortunately, not many of us hobby types have a tool and cutter grinder in our arsenal, including me, so we'll just have to use what we have.

I also made it clear that I prefer diamond stones to hone with and discussed how they are used for that purpose. I also mentioned oil stones briefly for producing a really fine finish on a tool.

As for tool holders, almost nobody uses lantern tool posts anymore and the tool angles used in this discussion are intended for the more modern quick change tool posts. That is a given in this discussion.

My goal here was to help guys grind a decent lathe tool, not provide an exhaustive course on lathe tools; I've already done that elsewhere and provided references to it. The biggest barrier for most guys, especially new guys, is to wrap their heads around how to physically grind the various angles properly. Teaching how to do that over the net, without being there in person to guide them, is a bigger challenge than it might seem.

I did the best I could with it.

I found it very helpful Mike. The detailed text along with the models in hand were very helpful. I now have copies of the models in keystock and will be making real HSS tools soon. I wasn't even thinking of HSS grinding as most of what I found wasn't very clear to me until I was holding an example to bring it together.

Tool grinders are great, but crazy expensive new and not common used. At least, that's how it is around here. Materials to build a belt grinder are easy though, just some common steel plate and tube and various fasteners.

Back