Modifying A 6 Point 1" Socket For Tail Stock Die Holder

omni_dilletante

somewhat active
Registered
It is time for me to make a tail stock tap and die holder. I have 1" hex dies and would like to use a 1" socket to hold them.

Something like this:

DIE4.JPG

In this example the person used the bottom of the socket. I am inclined to use the top portion of the socket.

I would like some advice from people who have good and bad experience machining sockets.
  1. Are some sockets easier to machine than others?
  2. I am hoping to chuck up the socket and using my cut off tool to part off the top 1/4". Is this likely to work, or should I be looking into other ways of cutting the socket?
  3. Will I be able to use my HSS taps to cut threads in the side for a set screw?
  4. I hope to press fit the socket into a 6061 holder using some locktite for insurance. Is this likely to work, or is there a better plan?

DIE4.JPG

DIE4.JPG

DIE4.JPG

DIE4.JPG

DIE4.JPG

Hi
There is a lot of good videos on youtube.
I am going to make one starting with a MT2-1 Extension sleeve.
Photos later lol

MT1.jpg

I am going to start with this, it has a 18mm straight shaft, MT2 taper.
The MT3-1 has a 26mm shaft, a bit big.
You can make the Die holders to the size of your Die's, to fit the main body.

Die holder.jpg

Last edited:
Don't really need all those 12 points. I just use a round hole and two set screws 180 degrees apart. Also needed a notch for the die set screw.
Been using it over a year and it works great.
CIMG2452.JPG CIMG2453.JPG

I've machined low end sockets using carbide without any trouble. Not sure about the brand name ones but I expect they'd machine too, they can't be too hard or they'd crack easily. If your lathe is stiff enough you could probably part the end with a carbide parting tool not sure if HSS would tough it. As for threading I have no idea, but if it drills reasonably easy then I'd expect it could be threaded. You might be better with a shrink fit where your installing it into the 6061, leave the outside surface of the socket rough and heat the sleeve. Your set screw would be coming out through the sleeve so it would help key it.

Greg

I had no trouble turning, welding, drilling and tapping Thorsen brand sockets to make die holders.

Does the die holder need to float a few thousands or should it pivot tight on the tailstock center ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Use round split dies in a round holder with set screws as mentioned above, hex dies are not really intended for producing threads but for cleaning them in maintenance applications.

This will allow you to adjust each die for size, round die holders are also very easy to make because they are round.

Does the die holder need to float a few thousands or should it pivot tight on the tailstock center ?

I have always held the die in a regular hand holder and pushed it with an open chuck (or anything mounted in the TS that has a flat surface square to the spindle axis). I place the die in position by hand. That way the die centers itself and starts straight. It is great to be able to feel the cutting.
All that to say that the die should float but should not be allowed to tilt.

Thanks to all of you for your input.

Today I made a trip to my local used tool emporium and for a few dollars left with two 1" sockets. One of them a normal shallow socket, the other a deep well impact socket.

I did not take a picture of them before I abused them, but here is a picture of what is left:

IMG_3080_zpslegnic5l.jpg

A carbide insert cut both sockets equally well. The shiny part of on the impact socket was when I took a heavy cut.

IMG_3079_zpsnjwly1e8.jpg

My HSS cut off tool was no match for the metal on the socket. I managed to cut off a chunk of the impact socket by cutting a deep V using the carbide insert.

For the shallow socket I cut a groove with the carbide insert and used that as a guide for my hacksaw. The deeper into the socket the harder the material was. Perhaps the faces in the inside of the socket are hardened? It pretty much took all of the teeth off my hacksaw blade. A second blade managed to finish the job.

IMG_3077_zpscmmwkmbh.jpg

The impact socket had thicker walls and the hex shape was not as centered as the other socket.

I think I will be using the ring I cut off the shallow socket.

IMG_3082_zpsv8wsxtd0.jpg

So if you are planning on cutting into some sockets I have come to the following conclusions:
  • Impact and regular sockets machine about the same.
  • Impact sockets have thicker walls and are a bit more crudely made.
  • Material in the sockets is more than HSS can handle.
  • Carbide inserts seem to work fine.
It looks like the 6061 scraps I have are not quite thick enough. I will need to go shopping tomorrow.

I will post more on this project on another thread.

Thanks again for your input.

IMG_3080_zpslegnic5l.jpg

IMG_3079_zpsnjwly1e8.jpg

IMG_3077_zpscmmwkmbh.jpg

IMG_3082_zpsv8wsxtd0.jpg

IMG_3080_zpslegnic5l.jpg

IMG_3079_zpsnjwly1e8.jpg

IMG_3077_zpscmmwkmbh.jpg

IMG_3082_zpsv8wsxtd0.jpg

IMG_3080_zpslegnic5l.jpg

IMG_3079_zpsnjwly1e8.jpg

IMG_3077_zpscmmwkmbh.jpg