Modifying LMS 3536 Saddle

harrzack

Harrzack
Registered
I'm adding a carriage lock to the LMS 3536 from plans I found on You Tube (http://bit.ly/2nC8Zb7) The plans are for a 7x16 slightly smaller lathe. My saddle has a rib on the underside which makes locating the mounting block for the Lock a bit difficult.

Would like to just mill off this rib (about .230 high) and make the whole underside clean & flat.
My question is: Would removing that rib distort (from missing material) or make the saddle significantly less rigid. I don't THINK so but would like to have a few comments before I take away metal I can't put back!

I'm enclosing a view of the saddle underside to show the ~.230 rib.Saddle (sml).jpg

Yes - but found this version and it is cam-operated, quick acting and has a WHOLE lot more surface area to clamp with. What came with the lathe was a little block less than an inch square! The factory version did work, but I've learned that clamping in 1 corner tends to make the saddle rise just a hair. Just trying to make useful improvements to the machine. :)

Back