[4]

Morse taper drill bits...is there a market?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!
I bought some goodies from a guy yesterday and one thing I may go back for is a bucket of Morse taper drill bits. I have no idea at this point which taper and just from a quick look I think they were mostly larger sizes, probably from a local factory. Is there a market for these?

Comments

If they fit your tailstock they'd be worth having at the right price.

I could use them if you don't want them. I'm trying to fill in a set of MT3 drills. MT2 would work, too.

I am probably going back Saturday to rescue the drill bits, some horizontal cutters, some taps and some other miscellaneous items.

By the way, they have the tang on the end of the taper.

Saves lots of time on the lathe when boring.
Most 12-13” swings have a mt3 tail stock right?

By the way, they have the tang on the end of the taper.
That's what most of mine are, too. My lathe tailstock and drill press both use MT3.

My Craftsman 12x36 lathe is MT2 with no tang slot. If I use a taper with a tang us there usually enough extra room in the receiving taper to accommodate the tang? I think so but not sure. Not sure of the taper on my vintage Craftsman drill press.

My Craftsman 12x36 lathe is MT2 with no tang slot. If I use a taper with a tang us there usually enough extra room in the receiving taper to accommodate the tang? I think so but not sure. Not sure of the taper on my vintage Craftsman drill press.
My lathe also does not have a socket for the tang. It still works, but the travel is reduced before the tool ejects.

I have a craftsman 12 x36. I just cut the tang off the drill chuck arbor. To get full travel. better to have the ram as far in as possible for center drilling.

I went back to the guy's place yesterday and realized they are tapered reamers with a morse taper, not drill bits. I may still buy them.

[6]
[5] [7]