Most Stuck Nut Ever Called Today

Moral, always check the direction of the thread!
No argument there. In this case the threads were recessed enough that they were very hard to see. The nut essentially had a thread protector built into it...which makes it even worse they didn't mark it at LH thread.

Where I used to work (not a machine shop) they had a tool crib of sorts where you could check out tools for the random odd job. I once requested a drill bit and spent a good few minutes trying to figure out why it wouldn't drill through a crummy zinc alloy even though I could see that the lips were sharp. Something didn't look quite right though... Yep, LH drill bit and my first encounter with one.

What is the benefit of a left-handed drill bit? I can't seem to think of one.

They are handy when drilling out a broken screw. The left hand drill will often walk the screw remnant out.

(It is rumored that you have to use left hand drill bits in the Southern hemisphere but I haven't substantiated that) ;)

Bolt and screw removal... if you are lucky you will drill part way in and voila, the drill bit unscrew it!

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

They are handy when drilling out a broken screw. The left hand drill will often walk the screw remnant out.

(It is rumored that you have to use left hand drill bits in the Southern hemisphere but I haven't substantiated that) ;)
Yeah, that Coriolis force is brutal!

As other have said - normally for drilling a stuck (RH!!) bolt. I own only a few - and they're part of an EZ-out kit.

GsT

Had 2 1969 Dodge trucks at one time. One side left hand, one side right. Never figured out why this was done. Cause the autos with them all right hand thread never unscrewed.

A guy I worked with once was doing front wheel bearings on a.... I don't even remember. Healey 3000 maybe. He put the hubs on the wrong sides. He figured it out the first time he hit the brakes... the spinners unwound and the wheels came off.

Had 2 1969 Dodge trucks at one time. One side left hand, one side right. Never figured out why this was done. Cause the autos with them all right hand thread never unscrewed.
I have run into left hand threads on the wheels of 19th century buggys. They didn't have the benefit of modern bearings so there was always a small amount of drag on the spindle nut which could cause them to unscrew. I suspect when the transition to horseless carriages happened, the practice was carried over.

As to a modern vehicle losing its nuts, it happened to me. I had my tires replace at a local shop. A few days later, on my way to work, my car developed a large wobble. Two of the studs on the driver side front wheel had snapped off and the three remaining studs were all loose with one of them missing. I tightened the remaining lug nuts and pulled another off a rear wheel and was able to drive home. I later ended up making a tool to extract the broken studs. The passenger side nuts were snug but not fully tightened. None of those had spun off.

In another case, I was having new tires put on my car and the woman who had just left came charging in, steaming mad, She had gottern a half mile down the road when one of her wheels fell off. I have seen wheels come off from vehicles in front of me, the drivers side again.

And lastly, it happened to me. I had changed tires on a trailer and was hauling belongings to our newly acquired farm. Coming down a hill, the drivers side trailer wheel past me by, went bouncing through a farmer's yard, and ended up in the marsh a quarter of a mile away. The farmer was sure we were trying to kill him or his family members and called the sheriff. A deputy paid me a visit and I explained what had happened, with no further consequences. I had failed to tighten the nug nuts when I installed the wheel.

Back