Most Stuck Nut Ever Called Today

In the watch industry, LH screws are marked with three slots instead of the single slot. Usually for the screw holding the intermediate idler wheel in the keyless works, which reverses the winding direction of the spring barrel. Given that they’ll break if you breathe on them wrong, it’s a good thing.

Rick “thread recession” Denney

I mark my LH hardware with a notch across the nut crest like they do oxy/acetylene fittings. Yes, that tooling stub is chowdered. I was rushing and managed to split the thread, but it was early in the thread cutting so I proceeded since it was just a tool to make the nuts.
GsT

lhnuts.jpg

In the watch industry, LH screws are marked with three slots instead of the single slot. Usually for the screw holding the intermediate idler wheel in the keyless works, which reverses the winding direction of the spring barrel. Given that they’ll break if you breathe on them wrong, it’s a good thing.

Rick “thread recession” Denney
Does this mean you can fix my Glycine Combat Sub that stopped working? Not sure if it's got an ETA 2824 or the Sellita SW200 copy. :grin:

We gave a newer mechanic a left hand tap down at the soap plant years back . Had an hour of amusement before we told him it was a leftie . He wasn't amused , but we were . :D

Does this mean you can fix my Glycine Combat Sub that stopped working? Not sure if it's got an ETA 2824 or the Sellita SW200 copy. :grin:
No. I’m too shaky for a small 11-1/2’’’ movement like a 2824, and too inexperienced to work on anything really nice or anyone’s watches but my own. I restrict my horological work mostly to clocks, and I’m a hack there, too.

And there’s no way in the world anyone at Swatch would sell me parts.

But I occasionally buy something for up to, say, fifty bucks just to restore my faith in my own incompetence.

I saw an Airman at Costco the other day, for a great price. I like Glycines, but the shop and the lathe has eaten all my play money (and then some).

Rick “dilettante” Denney

The Guys gave an old timer a left hand drill then rilled Him up telling Him a machine was down and the drill was the only one They had . Trying to sharpen one under pressure and not noticing it being left hand was priceless.

Back