Mostly Finished With Tool Chest Welding Cart

Looking good!
How will the tanks be secured?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I'll drill holes in the upper platform and use false links to attach chains to them. Then I'll use snap clips to attach the other ends to holes.

I’m to the point of figuring out the cable hangars. What did you do for yours hman? Closeup if you please.
Parts: 1@ 4"x30"x1/8" steel, 2@ 4"x 2½"x⅛" steel (upper corners beveled), 2@ 4"ODx4" long pieces of thinwall steel tubing, all tacked together (no need for great strength) and bolted to the cart at top and bottom.
Screenshot 2020-10-24 222428.jpgkHPIM0301.jpg

Parts: 1@ 4"x30"x1/8" steel, 2@ 4"x 2½"x⅛" steel (upper corners beveled), 2@ 4"ODx4" long pieces of thinwall steel tubing, all tacked together (no need for great strength) and bolted to the cart at top and bottom.
View attachment 341724View attachment 341725

I did something similar for my cart.
Here’s the hanger.
216da34c677eeb701b3039565716c964.jpg

Here it is on the cart.
52b84dd43f4c44b743810e7cc3fa17c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 341724View attachment 341725
Thanks hman. I think I’m going to have to go this route because where this would go, similar to your cart, I’d be mounting into the sheetmetal of the file cabinet and it’s kinda thin I think. I’m also going to have do a dive on the engineering junk pile to see if I can find something I can adapt. So far I’ve not bought anything, just used what on hand and would like to finish that way.

Your hangers are awesome. When I built mine, I didn’t add enough hangers.
Tig, MiG, Arc, Plasma are on the same cart plus the two gas cylinders.
I need to go back and add more, one of these days.
Nice cart Chips!!
I wish I had thought of it.

@Chips O'Toole Nice work on the cart. I had thought about the Vulcan cart but seemed like $349 is a lot for what you get. This is a much better concept. Although I could see having the flip up door on the bottom for larger item storage. You could also assign a drawer to OA expendable supplies.
As for hose hangers, seems like there is never enough: Plasma, MIG, TIG, ARC, Ground, Helmet, Jacket, Fire Extinguisher, etc and what ever else comes up.
A buddy built his own from scratch using a Craftsmen tool chest. He added a small tungsten grinder onto the cart. He did a lot of stainless welding and wanted a dedicated grinder to keep from contaminating the tungsten by someone accidentally grinding some carbon steel on the grinder.

Last edited:
Here is what I've done so far. The basics are done, and I'm applying truck bed coating.

Once I get it painted, I'm going to put the machines on it, and then I'll decide what to do about hanging things. I was going to go ahead and weld tabs on it for cables, but I thought it might be smarter to have the machines in place to find the best places to put everything.

10 25 20 harbor freight tool chest welding cart 17 steel separated from box and painted small.jpg

Back