Mostly Finished With Tool Chest Welding Cart

Pretty is always a worthwhile "feature" to add. You'll like it every time you use the cart.

PS regarding unhooking and storing cables - I appreciate the comments about things sticking out and vulnerable to getting run into. I store as many cables as possible on the hangers. But the MIG cable, with the internal wire feed, is too much of a bother to keep disconnecting and re-connecting. Somewhat the same with the MIG ground (connected inside the welder case). So I keep both coiled in the cubbyhole below the tabletop.

Very true, it isn't convenient to remove all the cables. When I designed my last cart, I made sure that the welder sat back far enough to protect the leads that I could not or should I say, would not be removing. Depending on what unit you have and what else you will be putting on top of the cabinet, you may be able to change the orientation of the welder to protect them. Sometimes you can you the cable hangers themselves to add that bump cushion.

I like the looks of the HF chest that @Chips O'Toole used and you cannot beat the price, in fact I was thinking about buying two of them one for the future welder stand and the other to house only my lathe, mill and precision measuring gear. I don't have my welders any more and when I replace them, I think I am going to go with either the Vulcan OmniPro 220 multi welder or the Everlast equivalent. They are doing amazing things with welders these days. I have no plans on doing heavy duty welding any more, so the need for a high duty cycle welder is required. For the price you can't beat them and they both have good reviews from what I have seen and read.

Pretty is always a worthwhile "feature" to add. You'll like it every time you use the cart.

PS regarding unhooking and storing cables - I appreciate the comments about things sticking out and vulnerable to getting run into. I store as many cables as possible on the hangers. But the MIG cable, with the internal wire feed, is too much of a bother to keep disconnecting and re-connecting. Somewhat the same with the MIG ground (connected inside the welder case). So I keep both coiled in the cubbyhole below the tabletop.

That’s the cool thing about having a welder and making your own cart. You can make exactly what you want. Just like Chips everything seemed expensive and not exactly what I wanted.

I wanted to incorporate all the junk I’d been gathering specifically for this. This was the perfect project also for the old cast iron wheels and castors from my favorite old floorjack.

The file cab was free, my welding helmet, gloves etc fit perfectly in the bottom drawer and are always clean and the lense is never dusty. The two top drawers are deep with HD ball bearing slides and all 3 face forward keeping the whole cart as small as possible.

I haven’t yet completed everything(hangers and paint) and “moved in” so it remains to be seen if it will accommodate everything. Mostly my Meco torch w/spare tips and airco torch w/regulator w/hoses. Depending on the project of course, I OA weld more than MIG, and the plasma the least. Winding the OA hoses on the tanks is what I’ve always done and is convenient for me. But like Papa C pointed out that MIG whip sticks out and grabs and is keeping the rig from going back in the hole my original cheapest of all carts used to go in. So it might be worth it to pull and hang that MIG once I get these hangers sorted. But my junkyard cart is way better than this:

Attachments

• 7C71B8ED-2D56-4A19-AF38-8696021EF0FB.jpeg
    7C71B8ED-2D56-4A19-AF38-8696021EF0FB.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
“You knew the job was dangerous when you took it!” SuperChicken.

Sage advice I have often quoted in this age of diminished accountability.

I am finally finished painting the project. I thought one can of truck bed coating would do it, but it really takes about 1.2 cans. I had to quit last night and buy more paint today. Now I have to wait before I assemble things. The can says 72 hours. I don't know if I can wait till Friday.

The paint looked pretty solid today, so I put the cart together. It's done except for cord hangers to be added later.

I think I should have drilled 6 small tube holes instead of 4 small ones. Not sure. Anyway, now I can move things to the new cart and sell two old ones.

10 27 20 harbor freight tool chest welding cart 18 finished except for hangers small.jpg

Back