• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

[Drill] Motor cooling fan blade .

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

vach55

Swarf
Registered Member
I am repairing a drill press that I purchased and I have torn down the motor and discovered that the cooling fan was cracked I tried to remove it and it broke even more . I am trying to locate a replacement. I have had no luck at all . I have attached photos of the motor plate the broken fan blade and the shaft it mounts to . The blade is 4 3/8 “ wide , the center hole is 3/4” and it’s 1/2 “ thick . Any help in locating one would be appreciated. This motor came of a Chicago Power Tools Drill Press . Thanks Dave . 8e87b4b52a28ba412efeb2650b29846b.jpg b01e98fd9db164e359b3852aa9fb5201.jpg a088d9cd0701b34df28c48edb417d64a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hermetic

Active User
Your best bet is a motor rewind shop where they can sort one out from a scrap motor, or sell you a new universal on in a tastefully coloured plastic! crap, but they keep the motor cool!

vach55

Swarf
Registered Member
Your best bet is a motor rewind shop where they can sort one out from a scrap motor, or sell you a new universal on in a tastefully coloured plastic! crap, but they keep the motor cool!
I tried my local shop he said the motor has no replacement parts available . Cheap Taiwan motor , just but another . The bearings are less than $20 all I need is this fan blade and that thing will run for another 30 years . 1/2 hp , 1750 , 1/2” shaft . I hate throwing this away that are useful ! I’ll keep searching. It came off somebody has one that will go back on !

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
If it was mine, I would cut a piece of metal round of that diameter and do some cutting and bending on it to have the same general shape
of the old one. Then I would machine up a bushing that would press press fit on the motor shaft. One could bolt on the bush to the blade
or even better yet weld or silver solder or even braze it onto the fan blade. I have replaced plastic fans this way and they work fine.

f350ca

Active User
H-M Supporter-Donating Member
Could you get away without a fan on a drill press? I'd try running it.

Greg

vach55

Swarf
Registered Member
If it was mine, I would cut a piece of metal round of that diameter and do some cutting and bending on it to have the same general shape
of the old one. Then I would machine up a bushing that would press press fit on the motor shaft. One could bolt on the bush to the blade
or even better yet weld or silver solder or even braze it onto the fan blade. I have replaced plastic fans this way and they work fine.
Thanks for that suggestion. I may try that . I thought if I could find a blade close I could modify and use that .

vach55

Swarf
Registered Member
Could you get away without a fan on a drill press? I'd try running it.

Greg
I thought I would need the fan for cooling ?

f350ca

Active User
H-M Supporter-Donating Member
For continuous running you definitely need a fan, but on a drill press where its intermittent use you may get away without it. Don't know. When using a VFD to slow the motor the built in fan would be pretty much useless.

Greg

vach55

Swarf
Registered Member
For continuous running you definitely need a fan, but on a drill press where its intermittent use you may get away without it. Don't know. When using a VFD to slow the motor the built in fan would be pretty much useless.

Greg
If I can’t find or make one I might just try that . It’s a strong motor the bearing was loud so I decided to take it apart and repair but when I open it up the blade was crack in a few places probably from sitting around for a long time . I really didn’t think it would be this difficult to find one .

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Finding replacement parts for anything made in Asia that's more than a few years old is pretty much impossible unless the exact item is still being manufactured and/or they have a very helpful US distributor that stocks replacement parts. Not much profit margin in motor parts. It wouldn't be too difficult to make one with some tin snips and pliers and it would outlive you
Mark S.

Last edited:

jim18655

Active User
You could mount a muffin fan on top and blow it through the motor, assuming you want function and not looks.

jrkorman

Just a thought - take a computer fan - fill the center with good epoxy, cure well and then drill out the center for your shaft.

markba633csi

That would be a perfect project for someone with a 3-D printer!
Mark

petcnc

Active User
When I was in a similar need I made my own! Full story here It might worth to give it a try.

P9131357s.jpg

vach55

Swarf
Registered Member
When I was in a similar need I made my own! Full story here It might worth to give it a try.

View attachment 257322
Thanks for the info . This fan is an internal fan . I am going to get some aluminum and try to make one I will post results soon . Thanks

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
If using thin mild steed rather than aluminum, it would be stronger and easier to afffix (weld or braze) the hub part.
If you were planning to bolt it on, aluminum would work OK. It all depends on what tools and or welding
equipment you may have. A TIG welder(GTAW) would be a great tool to use if you made an aluminum one but
not everyone has one, including me.:blue: Good luck.

vach55

Swarf
Registered Member
If using thin mild steed rather than aluminum, it would be stronger and easier to afffix (weld or braze) the hub part.
If you were planning to bolt it on, aluminum would work OK. It all depends on what tools and or welding
equipment you may have. A TIG welder(GTAW) would be a great tool to use if you made an aluminum one but
not everyone has one, including me.:blue: Good luck.
There is a stop on the shaft so I will make it flat and press fit it on then hold it on with a shaft collar . At least that’s what I’m thinking . I’ll post pics as soon as I get something made . Thanks for your response .

vach55

Swarf
Registered Member
69c944b51aad9dfa855ff32c261b5192.jpg 11bb1e87d045e4dca87c5ae81e890f67.jpg a7b5065f4a1228e4a8459a9018b928da.jpg c54dd68391c0cc4021f6735fbfc5a336.jpg

This is what I have so far ! I glued the broken fan to a thin piece of cardboard , then transferred that to a piece of anodized aluminum I had hanging around the cut the shape and drilled the center , it will fit tight when I put it on the shaft going to get shaft collar now at the hardware store . ANY THOUGHTS ? The metal may be to thin , will it flex as it spins ? Thanks

MikeInOr

It looks to me like you are golden! Mount it on your motor and run with it. At 1725 RPM your fan should be plenty sturdy, I would not worry about flexing at all.

mattthemuppet2

looks good to me, nice fix! Spin the motor by hand a few times first just to make sure there are no spots where it binds.

vach55

Swarf
Registered Member
ccf45ae1c427c885b91039cc7f084539.jpg 5ccaed1a0f2f20a3e63e6f363b49b537.jpg

I epoxied the collar to the blade it’s tight not going to come off . Now to get 2 new bearings and re-assemble the motor

Silverbullet

I'd say thirty plus years , good job and I bet ya didn't think you could do it. You could pop rivet it to the collar but epoxy should hold.

FOMOGO

Active User
Nice job on the fan. I'm sure it will hold up fine. With epoxy, I some times drill a few holes in one piece to allow the epoxy to squeeze through and eliminate any voids, and create a sort of pin to strengthen the joint. Cheers, Mike

BROCKWOOD

I am saddened by your local motor rewinder. It's a 1/2" shaft, come on. Made you step up & hit a home run though!!!!

Moper361

Greg
The plastic fan fell part about 4 years ago on my mill which will sometimes run upto 2 hours consistently to Finish a job ,I've been lazy and never replaced it however the motor has never had an isue it's still going now and gets used quite a lot ,I don't have vfd so motor runs at 1500 constant ,I really don't think the fans they fit on these Chinese motors do a great deal to be honest .I used to worry about it but that's gone out the window I have been waiting for it to say good night and die now for four years so as I can purchase a 3 phase motor and vfd drive however I don't think it's going to give me that luxury just yet

I thought I would need the fan for cooling ?

As

[6]
[5] [7]