Motor for an older lathe

Thanks, Mikey.

Good advice and follow-up to Bob and Dave. I actually have some experience on lathes but was interested in this one because of its compact size and overall good condition. 3-ph is worth considering, but Bob has some comments below worth considering as well.

Thanks again.

Like Mikey said, three phase motors and a VFD give you the option of choosing whatever speed you want, infinitely variable. OTOH, it is difficult sometimes, and especially with Asian machines, to find a motor that fits and does what you want it to. There are lots of things that all need to happen in one motor -- phase, voltage, rpm, frame size, horsepower, shaft size, keyway size, and more that makes it difficult sometimes to get the Goldilocks motor you wish for. That is why I was suggesting getting the original motor working, which I thought I knew would fit the lathe. If the motor is to the original specs for the lathe, then I would try to go that way, unless you are really a hot rod guy, who cannot stand to leave anything factory stock.

Well, you probably have me figured out! 54 truck; 55 2-dr; 59 truck; 65 truck - 3 out of 4 complete with full power, ac, automatics, disc brakes, etc. I'm not shy about 'modifying', but I suspect in this instance, there is much advantage to 'restoring' as opposed to 'hotrodding'.

Thanks for your counsel.

I have helped others do Jet 1024 to VFD conversions. The stock motors where usually 1750 RPM I believe 1Hp (do not recall the frame size but they often can be different than US), in all case we dropped in an inverter type TENV motor, 2Hp is possible but pushing it, a 1.5 Hp was a good fit with for use with a VFD as you want slightly larger Hp than stock when possible. Online videos show a number of people who have used 1 hp. You can always bore/bush a pulley. You can do several different control wiring systems, I have a simple schematic where you basically have a forward, stop and reverse momentary buttons. It requires two relays, if the power drops than it stops.
This previous post shows the stock motor vs the inverter motor: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/the-little-jet-lathe-that-just-might-could.48333/page-2

I have helped others do Jet 1024 to VFD conversions. The stock motors where usually 1750 RPM I believe 1Hp (do not recall the frame size but they often can be different than US), in all case we dropped in an inverter type TENV motor, 2Hp is possible but pushing it, a 1.5 Hp was a good fit with for use with a VFD as you want slightly larger Hp than stock when possible. Online videos show a number of people who have used 1 hp. You can always bore/bush a pulley. You can do several different control wiring systems, I have a simple schematic where you basically have a forward, stop and reverse momentary buttons. It requires two relays, if the power drops than it stops.
This previous post shows the stock motor vs the inverter motor: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/the-little-jet-lathe-that-just-might-could.48333/page-2

Wow, that's most helpful. I'll study the info in the older post. The lathe in the 3rd pic looks exactly like mine, so I think we're on the right track.

Thanks.

Back