• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Some users may still have issues remaining logged into the forum. Please delete old bookmarks. If you are still having issues, go to the Site Issues forum here and let us know EXACTLY what you clicked on before the login issue arose, so we can try to track it down. We are working on this, and appreciate your patience. Thank you.

[4]

motor specs on old lathe

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

tjb

Terry
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Hello, All.

This is a follow-up to an earlier post I probably placed on the wrong forum. (Thanks for the good info and guidance I received from all who responded.)

Now, on to the next iteration in revitalizing a nice old machine:

I have recently acquired a very nice Kin Shin lathe built in 1976 - Model KS3.5FK. While the machine is very tight, it is not running because the motor is not wired to it. I doubt it is the original motor, and I'm not confident it is right for this machine. It is a Westinghouse 1/2HP 110/220V 3450 RPM single phase. It's my understanding, however, these type lathes were typically geared to run at 1725 RPMs on a 3/4 - 1 HP motor.

Anyone out there with experience on these older Taiwan lathes that might know more specifics on original motor configuration? I've done a little research and found that this machine appears to be identical to a Jet model 1024.

Thanks in advance,
Terry

4gsr

HM Shop Superintendent
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Terry,

I'm familiar with the older Jet 12 x 36 bench lathe they built in the late 1970's into the late 1980's. The motor was something like a 1 Kw or 1.5 HP. And it was 1725 RPM. I don't recall any of the jet lathes having a 3450 RPM motor on them. The one I dealt with, the wiring had to be completely redone for the new motor. The electrician we had just installed a typical light switch as you would use in your house! Still being used when I left there. Ken

tjb

Terry
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Terry,

I'm familiar with the older Jet 12 x 36 bench lathe they built in the late 1970's into the late 1980's. The motor was something like a 1 Kw or 1.5 HP. And it was 1725 RPM. I don't recall any of the jet lathes having a 3450 RPM motor on them. The one I dealt with, the wiring had to be completely redone for the new motor. The electrician we had just installed a typical light switch as you would use in your house! Still being used when I left there. Ken
Thanks, Ken.
That confirms exactly what I anticipated. Wired the Westinghouse on the workbench yesterday. Good news: it works; bad news: thought it was going to levitate. 3450 RPMs is way too fast for this machine.
Don't understand all the ins-and-outs yet of hobby-machinist, but somehow I managed to have a 'conversation' with someone who posted an excellent thread on restoring an old Jet. He still has the old motor and will send a photo of the specs later today. For informational purposes, I will add that to this thread ASAP.
Thanks again,
Terry

[6]
[5] [7]