Motor vibration

savarin

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I was always under the impression that modern electric induction motors were smooth.
My new Hitachi floor mounted drill press has a high frequency vibration sufficient to vibrate any items laying on the plate off.
I went to the store and got them to try the one in stock and it did the same.
I removed the pulley to check if it was out of balance and theres no change.
Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill or is this normal?
At the moment I'm Mr Angry.

Poorly balanced rotor I'm guessing- I would return it
It's so hard to purchase things nowadays. I probably return 50% of the things I buy.
Mark

Last edited:
I have an older Chinese drill press, Task Master brand (looks just like the HItachis) and it's motor vibrates like crazy, always has. I've learned to work with it even though I don't like it. Am considering putting a 3 phase motor and VFD on it, but it's a low priority at this time.

Seems even the brand names that used to produce smooth motors have vibrations.
I purchased what should have been a decent motor for my grinder but it just vibrates too much.
May have to set up a balance beam and work on the rotor.
I have noticed that in Utah the old home grain and flower grinders have Delta 3/4 HP motors.
Some of them sell for much less than the cost of a motor and the old Deltas ran nice.
Might try to get oneif I can make it up to Salt Lake area.

I have an older Chinese drill press, Task Master brand (looks just like the HItachis) and it's motor vibrates like crazy, always has. I've learned to work with it even though I don't like it. Am considering putting a 3 phase motor and VFD on it, but it's a low priority at this time.

I bought a small lathe a few years ago, it was parked at the back of a bus garage, dirty and very neglected. I took it home and cleaned it, big surprise, it looked brand new. When I switched it on, the thing leaped up and chased me around the shop, the motor vibrated like a road drill. A new motor transformed the machine and explained why it hadn't been used much. 06122011016.jpg

Nice little Myford 77

It's not a Myford, Myford owners tend to spit when you mention these. There were a few Chinese copies of the Myford around in the 70s and 80s. Most were not very good (and that's putting it mildly). It's another case of most of them giving the others a bad name. The Colts were made in Taiwan by a respected manufacturer of CNC machinery and were not bad at all. It cost me about the same price as a used 7X12 and there were some decent accessories with it.

Ah yes I can see the Colt lettering now- they are pretty good from what I read
I was thinking of a Myford 7

May I inquire how much you paid for the drill press? My guess is it was a few hundred dollars and the quality is pretty poor? Unfortunately cheap tools are cheap for a reason... including they use cheap motors. Maybe you were exaggerating a bit? Even my HF drill press doesn't vibrate things off the table. My 40 year old Walker turner I can barely hear running... at least in comparison to the HF DP.

You might try a different brand, you might get lucky.

you can try balancing the rotor, just be patient , mark it, see if it stops there repeatedly then drill a dimple to lighten it and retest.

Also make sure the shaft is not bent. I know you wanted a step up, you may have to work on it to get it.

Back